PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing stuff (with apt-get and from source)

jerome187
06-28-2003, 09:47 AM
When i try to install something from apt-get i usually get errors like this:

root@knoppix:/home/jerome187# apt-get install kde-devel
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
kde-devel: Depends: kdelibs-dev
Depends: libarts-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libkmid-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdebase-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdbg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kde-designer but it is not installable
Depends: kprof but it is not going to be installed
Depends: dcopperl but it is not going to be installed
Depends: dcoppython but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libkdexparts-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: koffice-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
root@knoppix:/home/jerome187#

and when i try to install something from source it gives me tons of dependices and when i try to install these dependices via apt-get i get errors like above.

i know apt-get is setup properly because i DID get one think working right, gkrellm2. installed perfectly, but anything else i've tryed dosent work.

is there anyway to fix this so i can actually use apt-get correctly?

TIA

jerome187

garyng
06-28-2003, 10:22 AM
It is very hard to fix the system that is built from mixing distribution(testing/unstable). There is limitation in the apt-get dependency logic which from my experiencel only support one way upgrade, despite how flexible people are claiming about apt-get.

you said you have apt-get setup correctly because you can pull in some other packages, the truth is, the only way apt-get can be 100% sure about setup correctly is 'stable' without any third party backport. The reason that you can have some packages work is that they have less dependency on others. KDE is almost an acid test of how 'broken' a distribution is, well I have seen other situation that is even worse(like I have installed a woody system without locale package, add Xfree86 4.3 backport which has a newer debconf then later when I want to add back locale, apt-get barks that the debconf is too new!).

The only suggestion I can think of is to do a apt-get dist-upgrade having 'unstable' as the only source(I assume you have a KNOPPIX hd-install) then retry what you wanted to do. Make sure you remove every other source site other than ftp.debian.org.

I have forgotten how many times I have deboostrap from scratch(I use woody + backports) in ironing out these weird dependency problems in apt-get.

Stephen
06-28-2003, 07:27 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3342&highlight=) the process will be similar for you.

jerome187
06-28-2003, 08:39 PM
I did a apt-get dist-upgrade and it did its thing with no problems, but it dident seem to fix anything. heres what i got for trying to apt-get kdelibs3....

root@knoppix:/home/jerome187# apt-get install kdelibs3
The following extra packages will be installed:
kdelibs3-bin libqt2 libsocks4
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ark k3b kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy kappfinder karbon karm kasteroids kate
kate-plugins kbattleship kbounce kcalc kcharselect kchart kcmlinuz kcoloredit
kcontrol kcron kdat kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase
kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data
kdelibs4 kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim
kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-libs kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdevelop kdevelop-data kdf
kdm kdvi kedit kfax kfind kfloppy kformula kgeo kget kghostview kgpgcertmanager
khelpcenter khexedit kicker kiconedit kivio kjots klaptopdaemon klipper kmahjongg
kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmix kmrml knotes koffice-data koffice-libs kompare
konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kooka korganizer koshell kpackage
kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kppp kpresenter krdc kreversi krfb kruler
kscd ksmserver ksnapshot ksokoban ksplash kspread kstars ksync ksysguard ksysv
kteatime ktimer ktip kugar kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kwin kxconfig
libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2 libkonq4 libkscan1 lisa secpolicy
The following NEW packages will be installed:
kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin libqt2 libsocks4
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 117 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 8683kB of archives. After unpacking 163MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

is there a knoppix cd thats compatiable with debians current stable phase of its distro? like maybe a older knoppix or something?

Stephen
06-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Why are you trying to install kdelibs3 that is for KDE 2.2.

[04:48 PM Sat Jun 28: stephen @ ~]
>$ apt-cache policy kdelibs3
kdelibs3:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 4:2.2.2-13
Version Table:
4:2.2.2-13.woody.7 0
500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
4:2.2.2-13 0
990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages

As you can see this will remove KDE 3.1 and downgrade the install. you should be installing the packages from testing/unstable.

jerome187
06-28-2003, 09:12 PM
o oops, i had no idea :P i figured sence it had a 3 in its name it was for KDE3

i want to install kopote and kuake, both have dependices for Qt3 headers and libaries, its there a simmilar package in apt-get that i can install so these will be fulfilled?

Stephen
06-28-2003, 10:49 PM
o oops, i had no idea :P i figured sence it had a 3 in its name it was for KDE3

i want to install kopote and kuake, both have dependices for Qt3 headers and libaries, its there a simmilar package in apt-get that i can install so these will be fulfilled?

Yes damn confusing. I believe kopete is already installed to check apt-cache policy kopete will tell you what version if any is installed and where it came from with usually other verisons that are available to install.

To install apt-get -s install kopete when you get the errors saying the package cannot be install because package version xy is installed and it needs version yz then apt-cache policy < package > for the package that needs to be installed to check available versions if say the unstable version is needed then apt-get -s install < package >/unstable to simulate the install and check for more errors if none remove the -s to install. Then go back and simulate the install of kopete to check for more errors if there are repeat the process until there are no unsatisified dependencies causing the errors and kopete will install.

jerome187
06-28-2003, 10:58 PM
root@knoppix:/home/jerome187# apt-get -s install kopete
E: Couldn't find package kopete

are you usre kopete is in atp-get? i searched for in on debian.org's package database and i couldent find it in there (searched in stable, testing, and unstable)

RockMumbles
06-29-2003, 05:54 AM
do a:

apt-cache search kopete

to see if it is in your package lists.

as well as trying:
apt-get -s install kopete/unstable

you might want to try:
apt-get -s -t unstable install kopete ( and maybe -t stable)

IIRC apt-get -s install kopete/unstable and apt-get -s -t unstable install kopete function slightly different. You will have to have a repository URI in your sources list that has the kde packages you want, you might want to look at www.apt-get.org for unofficial package repositories and their sources.list URI's.

HTH

rock

jerome187
06-29-2003, 08:04 PM
www.apt-get.org is awsome!! found a kopete.deb and installed it without any problems.

why itsnt this on the "offical" debian site? i think there apt-get system has some problems. i used gentoo for a while until i acidently killed my system, and there package system was GREAT. anyone could make a package and submit it to the online database, looks like debian dosent really allow that :( so it results in lots of apps missing from their database. o well

Stephen
06-29-2003, 08:23 PM
are you usre kopete is in atp-get? i searched for in on debian.org's package database and i couldent find it in there (searched in stable, testing, and unstable)
Sorry my bad I got it from orth's packages in the KDE 3.2 CVS.

[04:18 PM Sun Jun 29: stephen @ ~]
>$ apt-cache policy kopete
kopete:
Installed: 1:0.6-2+cvs20030626+orth
Candidate: 1:0.6-2+cvs20030626+orth
Version Table:
1:0.6-2+cvs20030626+orth 0
500 http://oberlin.cems.umn.edu ./ Packages

aay
06-30-2003, 04:50 AM
Apt-get.org is great indeed. Nice place to get Mplayer from. I was kind of ignorant about Mplayer's abilities to play a wide variety of file formats. With the mozilla plugin I have been able to stream Windows media and Qicktime. This may seem like blasphemy to some, but there is really no other way to watch movie trailers on the net. Techtv streams all it's stuff in Windows Media and there is some interesting stuff on there sometimes. They are certainly linux friendly anyway.