PDA

View Full Version : How to get a boot floppy

afried
06-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Sorry for the obvious question, but...
I can't boot from a CD on my machine and I am trying to understand how to get a boot floppy but I can't.
In the FAQ it says to use rewrite in the knoppix directory in the CD, but I can't open the CD on my machine.
Any suggestions will be great,
Thanks.

rickenbacherus
06-29-2003, 05:26 AM
When you look at the disc in windows what do you see? If you only see one big file then you have incorrectly burned the disc. You'll need to get the disc burned correctly first. If you have multiple files then just browse to Knoppix/mkfloppy and run the batch file.

afried
06-29-2003, 05:57 AM
I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
Thanks,

Stephen
06-29-2003, 06:48 AM
I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
Thanks,
Yes

rickenbacherus
06-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks,

Here's how I burn in Linux(it never fails):

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 Knoppix-6-6-03.iso

Of course use your own cd burner speed and dev name and an actual .iso.

afried
06-29-2003, 05:58 PM
sorry, but i have some more obvious questions.
So, I burned the cd in the right way and I can go to KNOPPIX, now I need to get the boot floppy. I opened my cd on my linux box and my question is how do i gt the floppy? which file do i have to copy to the floppy and exectly how to do it?
Thank you very much. :lol:

rickenbacherus
06-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Mount your cdrom, cd into KNOPPIX and do this:

dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0

If you need to format your floppy first:

fdformat /dev/fd0H1440

I was just looking at the docs and this isn't in there is it? Glad I wasn't an ass w/ RTFM! :D

Actually tho- I see that you did and I would highly recommend getting yourself acquainted with Smart Boot Manger as the docs suggest. It's great to have on a machine that won't boot from cdrom. Just my .02.

afried
06-29-2003, 09:25 PM
thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.
I did what you suggest and after adjusting my screen resoution it is up and running.
I appriciate your help. :lol:

rickenbacherus
06-29-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.

Well I am part of the aholes anonymous group here but somtimes I fall off the wagon. :P
Glad you got it.