PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix is a "Major Linux Distro" - according to d

eadz
06-29-2003, 06:43 PM
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

According to Distrowatch, Knoppix is one of 10 major distros. But to me it makes sense, it is a really really good distro - combine the power of debian with Klaus's magic and you have something special.

Also, being a CD based distro it is much more likely to be on the cover of a PC magazine than another distro like redhat because it can be safely "trialed".

It's hard to judge a distro's popularity ( definatly NOT by page hit rankings on distrowatch.com ! ;) ) but I think Knoppix is up there in new users, i.e. out of every 100 new linux users this week x% will use Knoppix.

aay
06-30-2003, 04:39 AM
If forum traffic is any indication, then I think you are right. I don't have hard numbers but it seems like the forums have been getting a LOT busier. eadz, do you know what sort of increase in traffic knoppix.net has seen over the past several weeks and months?

MorskNorsk
06-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Even cooler is that if you take the combined total of Debian and Knoppix clicks it's bigger than #1 on the list (Mandrake). I think niches are slowly starting to develop among the distros. Mandrake / RedHat for newbies, Debian / Knoppix for the rest (and people testing out Linux), and RedHat for corporate.