PDA

View Full Version : can ping router but no internet

kashif
06-29-2003, 09:36 PM
hi
I can get into my router with either browser, but i cant seem to browse the net. ANy suggestions, looked into settings for browser but couldnt see anything there

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm guessing that your "router" is a DSL or cable gateway, but you should really give more info.

OK, you can see the router. Are you configuring Knoppix with DHCP or manually? Check the default gateway and be sure it is set to the router's IP address. Also, be sure that the router is actually getting a network connection (if you have a PPPoE connection, be sure that your lease hasn't expired - some routers like the Linksys will claim they still have a connection when the lease has expired). If it's a Linksys and it connects by PPPoE to an ISP, force a disconnection and then reconnect to rule this out.

If all of that fails, post back with more detailed info, including all of your settings and what type of router and what type of a system you are connecting to.

aay
06-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Your DNS info should be automatically handed off to Knoppix by your router, but it sounds like that may not happening. Can you ping ip addresses on the net. That should certainly confirm whether or not it's a dns problem.

You can enter your dns info manually in /etc/resolv.conf.

I suspect that doing this should fix things for you.

kashif
07-01-2003, 06:30 PM
cant ping other websites, the router i can

Harry Kuhman
07-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Oh, come on! If you want help, at least try to give us a little input what you're doing!

I actually think aay could be on the right track, but you give so little information we can't tell at all. When you say you can't ping other websites, do you mean you can't ping an IP address that you know to be another website, or that you can't ping a URL (which might well indicate a DNS problem)?

What router are you using? Are you doing a DHCP address configuration? (If you're manually configuring you could certainly be getting a setting wrong that would cause the device not to be able to properly do NAT translation to you but would still let you access it). What is the ISP, and what type of service is it? What does ifconfig report? Have you (or anyone else) set up any rules or restrictions in the router that could be an issue? Are there other computers connected to the router, and if so can they get to the Internet while the Knoppix system fails? If there are other computers, can you ping them and can you transfer files to and from them?

Give us some IP addresses you're using, sub-net masks, default gateway settings and the rest and we may well be able to help you. Just posting "it's broke" isn't likely to get much help.