PDA

View Full Version : PROLINK HURRICANE 8000 USB ADSL MODEM

softgun
06-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi,
If anyone finds a way to get this working with a HDD install of Knoppix or Debian, please let me (and others using this modem) know.

Thanks

softgun
07-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi,
Sorry to reply to my own post. But sionce it has been viewed by many I think I should let you know developments
I made a strong request of the need to support Linux or loose a large clint base, and they have replied positively.

www.fida.com will support Linux soon, and the driver will be made available on their site by the "end of the month".

Stephen
07-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi,
Sorry to reply to my own post.

New information is always welcome.

But sionce it has been viewed by many I think I should let you know developments
I made a strong request of the need to support Linux or loose a large clint base, and they have replied positively.

www.fida.com will support Linux soon, and the driver will be made available on their site by the "end of the month".

It is nice to see a company actually respond to a user request for support and do it in a timely manner it is too bad some companies just don't seem to get it and in the long run that will cost them dearly in lost business.

Hopefully you can get it going with the new driver, perhaps you could offer to beta test the new driver for them and give some feed back to the developement team.

fishy926
08-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Hi all.

i found he above postings very amusing. Ironic too, if you allow me.
Months ago i suscribed to my current ISP, and they supplied me with a free modem, that is the Hurricane 8000.

But i was then experimenting with Mandrake 9.1. i really hated windows 98 and wanted to move over completely to Linux. Unfortunately, prolink doesn't have a Lindriver for the modem. then i e-mailed www.fida.com to see whether they do have a Lindriver for 8000.

they replied me a weekend later that : NO. WE DON"T HAVE A LINUX DRIVER FOR 8000. TOO BAD. I MIGHT WANT TO TRY ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR MODEMS THAT INCLUDES A ROUTER ABILITY. THANKYOU.

i was shell-shocked. thus i now find it really funny, that they have ate back their own words, and backed down to do up the driver :lol:

anyways,thanks for the pesistant bugging

shawn

mas
08-20-2003, 04:41 PM
i emailed fida and a support person emailed me the driver for redhat 7.2 he says that the "The newer drivers are still in development".

atleast i have this to play around with now.