PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect my cable modem

rajivvyas
06-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Ok, my Knoppix is able to detect my modem and even connect me to the Internet when it is launched from the CD.

But, when I install it on my HD, the distro detects the cabel modem (including the model name, number and manufacturer) but fails to connect me.

Any suggestions?

Stephen
06-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Ok, my Knoppix is able to detect my modem and even connect me to the Internet when it is launched from the CD.

But, when I install it on my HD, the distro detects the cabel modem (including the model name, number and manufacturer) but fails to connect me.

Any suggestions?

Edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and make sure the DHCP is enabled. example file:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Debian (knoppix) does not enable DHCP by default you have to turn it on yourself. When you have the file in the proper format /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network with the new settings. If you want to do it the easy way netcardconfig and accept the use DHCP option. All this as root in a console window.

aay
06-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Debian (knoppix) does not enable DHCP by default you have to turn it on yourself.

Well when I've done hdinstalls and selected DHCP as one of the options it's always been turned on by default. I haven't had to edit /etc/network/interfaces. I think this used to not be the case, but AFAIK it's been fixed on more recent releases.

Stephen
06-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Well when I've done hdinstalls and selected DHCP as one of the options it's always been turned on by default. I haven't had to edit /etc/network/interfaces. I think this used to not be the case, but AFAIK it's been fixed on more recent releases.

I read it a post by Klaus on the developers list when I had the problem once, did not know it had been fixed one less annoyance in the install now anyway.