PDA

View Full Version : new Knoppix 8.2 - no3d fails

fredvej
05-18-2018, 05:48 PM
The new Knoppix 8.2 on torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de works well, if you do not use the cheatcode no3d.

Booting it with knoppix no3d fails to start X.

Luke M
07-15-2018, 02:29 AM
Confirmed. This is tragic since without no3d knoppix is unusable.

knp
07-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I think that's no so tragic

In previous versions one could disable "compiz effects".

NB: I am a newbie!!

knp

Capricorny
07-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Just upgrade the actual graphics modules, roll the modified system into a "new" Knoppix with the remaster option from flash-Knoppix, and you can boot with knoppix no3d. Worked for me in both 8.2 and 8.3.

Luke M
07-24-2018, 05:07 AM
Can you upload the fixed version somewhere?

joselb
07-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Can you upload the fixed version somewhere? Yes, that would be great. And explaining the steps you did to change and remaster Knoppix.

Capricorny
07-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Can you upload the fixed version somewhere?

Nope. This is all about using the standard Debian upgrade tools. Which, especially over time, may be somewhat limited in Knoppix, because it contains elements from several releases. But in my experience, new releases are not very much more problematic than standard Debian, and with the overlay layers, one may always back up to last stable version if something goes wrong.
The notion that Knoppix is not made for upgrading is plain wrong IMHO, as is the conception that eventual upgrading in Knoppix is a risk sport, while in standard Debian it is a breeze. (I use standard Debian as my default OS.)

I can try to write up a detailed "how-to" on this, but it may take some time, because I should then retrace my steps with 8.2 or 8.3, to specify more exactly what is needed - I did a whole lot of upgrading with both, most of it unneccessary for the no3d problem, and possibly harmful now.

joselb
07-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Capricorny: "Your concern is not an argument against doing what he suggests" ;)
If you changed it to work with no3d, why canīt you upload it like it is and so people could download it?

Capricorny
07-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Capricorny: "Your concern is not an argument against doing what he suggests" ;)
If you changed it to work with no3d, why canīt you upload it like it is and so people could download it?
In principle, uploads would be a Knoppix derivative. Which is not advisable for several reasons. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the minimal modifications would suffice for all use cases, while a more comprehensive modification aimed at "fixing all cases" could easily break something. Remember, the basic problem here is something of an anomaly - it simply shouldn't happen. So, the only safe way out I can see now is that users do the modifications necessary for them. I'll provide a recipe for that, but, as I have said, it will take me some time.

joselb
07-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Maybe you can change it only to work with or without no3d option and upload it that way. Itīs only a minimal change and will save us a hard work that we donīt know how to do it or do it well. Only if you want to help, I think itīs not a problem if itīs a derivative (only a minimal change in the original Knoppix), but I am not sure if itīs allowed or not.

joselb
07-25-2018, 12:46 PM
When Knoppix-CD was discontinued I even thought to pay someone to create a minimal version of Knoppix (not downloading a DVD with 4 or more GB), even deleting most of the programs that included the CD (only the minimal programs) and with the changes I needed. I even emailed Klaus but no answer. This could be even a work for you or someone interested to offer something like that.

Capricorny
07-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Maybe you can change it only to work with or without no3d option and upload it that way. Itīs only a minimal change and will save us a hard work that we donīt know how to do it or do it well. Only if you want to help, I think itīs not a problem if itīs a derivative (only a minimal change in the original Knoppix), but I am not sure if itīs allowed or not.
No way.
If it was a well known/understood (by us) bug, that would have been more feasible, but it is not. I suggest you rather contact Klaus Knopper about this if you absolutely want it fixed upstream - that the same seems to occur in both 8.2 and 8.3 makes it less of a coincidence IMHO.

joselb
07-25-2018, 02:52 PM
No way. If it was a well known/understood (by us) bug, that would have been more feasible, but it is not. I suggest you rather contact Klaus Knopper about this if you absolutely want it fixed upstream - that the same seems to occur in both 8.2 and 8.3 makes it less of a coincidence IMHO. As I said I emailed Klaus before and no answer. But I got it.

Ralph.Bremer
11-06-2018, 01:18 AM
if you simply dont want compiz with 8.3 you can use nocompiz as boot option instead of no3d
may be it also works with 8.2

johnrw
10-14-2019, 05:51 AM
I am an old knoppix hand, but I admit, I haven't been on this forum for quite a spell. I have always booted my knoppix with no3d. I hate it. I can confirm this bug is still present on Knoppix 8.6. I was shocked when Knoppix just sat there on boot. Now that i know nocompiz is a workaround... I'm glad I came to find out what was up.

johnrw
10-14-2019, 06:06 AM
Well, nocompiz did not help. Actually, Knoppix would not start on my laptop. Even with no cheatcodes. That is a first!!!
What gives guys? This laptop has been booting Knoppix since version 5.0

johnrw
10-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Confirmed. This is tragic since without no3d knoppix is unusable.
I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Not a really big request! But we don't know the actual changes you had to make, so we are in the dark there. We could make it available to only the people who have complained on this thread. I got fiber optic service. I can shoot it across the world in minutes.

No way.
If it was a well known/understood (by us) bug, that would have been more feasible, but it is not. I suggest you rather contact Klaus Knopper about this if you absolutely want it fixed upstream - that the same seems to occur in both 8.2 and 8.3 makes it less of a coincidence IMHO.

By US bug? So you are in the testing group? You certainly have better access to Klaus than us general audience people. I tested Knoppix, back in version 5.0 to 5.1 release. That went badly. So I know how this can happen to even the most diligent of testers. Bugs creap in, where they aren't supposed to be. I'll give you my word of honor, I won't distribute it to anybody who has not registered a complaint here in this thread.

But I need to get to the bottom of why it won't boot at all!!!
I did sha1 hash checks on the KNOPPIX files... they all checked out. What comes after minirt in the bootup process. It doesn't seem to be making it there on my boot failures.
It says Please do not remove medium until shutdown... and stays there with nothing afterwards.