PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard does not post...

manjo
07-01-2003, 07:02 AM
I changed the CPU fan on my athelon XP 2000, now my mobo doesint post! Seems like the CPU is fine coz each time I power on the heatsink gets warm and the CPU fan is spinning. The motherboard seems to be healthy coz all the LEDs light up and my PCI cards seem to be getting power (I know this coz the fan on my radeon is working) The speaker makes a click noise, but does not beep.

I tried unplugging everything leaving the RAM, CPU on it, still no beeps. even took it out of the case. Still no luck.... I even tried reseating the RAM and the CPU still same result. I also disconnected the BIOS battery and put it back in after 3 -5 mts .. no luck... :-(

Did I fry something?? Is there a way to verify if my mobo and CPu are still healthy?

Any suggestions??

rickenbacherus
07-01-2003, 12:13 PM
You'd need to leave the CMOS battery out a little longer usually to reset the CMOS. There might be a jumper on your mobo to reset the CMOS and NVRAM with which would be much faster than removing the battery and waiting. Are you sure you didn't accidentally knock a power connector off the mobo when you were inside the case? Checked all of your connections?

If none of the above works remove everything you can from your box (sound, NIC, etc.)and try to run with minimal hardware installed.

manjo
07-01-2003, 01:34 PM
I am not sure if resetting the BIOS will do any good, anyways I am desprate and so will try that.

I already tried a minmum boot, with CPU and RAM only, but no luck...

Colonel Sanders
07-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Try pulling out the RAM and if you get beeps, more than likely your system is still alive.

L J

annamerikin
07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
A few motherboards have an interlock between the CPU HS/F riser and the fan itself so that if the fan stops working, the motherboard shuts down before the CPU is fried. Perhaps yours is one of those motherboards and PERHAPS your new CPU fan is connected to a different header, or is not compatible with this scheme. As a way to rule this out, temporarily reinstall the old HS/F in the old place and see if it boots that way.

I changed the CPU fan on my athelon XP 2000, now my mobo doesint post! Seems like the CPU is fine coz each time I power on the heatsink gets warm and the CPU fan is spinning. The motherboard seems to be healthy coz all the LEDs light up and my PCI cards seem to be getting power (I know this coz the fan on my radeon is working) The speaker makes a click noise, but does not beep.

I tried unplugging everything leaving the RAM, CPU on it, still no beeps. even took it out of the case. Still no luck.... I even tried reseating the RAM and the CPU still same result. I also disconnected the BIOS battery and put it back in after 3 -5 mts .. no luck... :-(

Did I fry something?? Is there a way to verify if my mobo and CPu are still healthy?

Any suggestions??