PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix wont boot - Kernel Freezes

redsmoke
07-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi,
I am able to boot to the cd and try several options but no matter what I try after it uncompresses the kernel it freezes. Here are options of have gone through. knoppx cdtest, knoppix lang=us, failsafe. all I can seem to get out of it is uncompressing kernel. Anyone have any clues on what to try? here are my system stats if that helps.

Athlon XP 2400+
512 MEG DDR PC 2100

and VIA based chipset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

redsmoke
07-02-2003, 06:57 AM
I wanted to add I di try reburning the CD severals time and redownloading several times. I tried the 6-06 and the 5-20 3.2 releases. Both did the same thing.

redsmoke
07-03-2003, 09:10 PM
No one has responded yet *sigh* . I wanted to post I did some more research. I tried the cd I made on two other computers and it worked. My case and motherboard is Shuttle Sk41G. I did some reasearch and all the post i found about the Shuttle SK41G and user using it seems that it worked for them apparently. Any one have a clue why I just get a black screen and it never gets past uncompressing the kernel?

Stephen
07-03-2003, 11:11 PM
No one has responded yet *sigh* . I wanted to post I did some more research. I tried the cd I made on two other computers and it worked. My case and motherboard is Shuttle Sk41G. I did some reasearch and all the post i found about the Shuttle SK41G and user using it seems that it worked for them apparently. Any one have a clue why I just get a black screen and it never gets past uncompressing the kernel?

Have you tried knoppix noddc to stop detection of the monitor this causes the black screen sometimes.

xeerex
07-05-2003, 02:40 AM
I'm a Knoppix and Linux newbie, but you may also try xmode=nv and see if that helps. Do you even get to prompt?

Joninator
07-07-2003, 06:40 PM
I have the same problem.

Ok, I just received my copy of Knoppix 3.2 June 6 Edition. I tried booting but it's SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Then it detects my processor as AMD 1.15GHz. It's suppose to be AMD Athlon XP 1800+. Anyways it gives me these weird errors saying something like, "Cloop: Read Error at pos 725014204 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix". There are more errors, but too much to type. Anyways, it booted to X but it hangs there. So, I thought it would be the CD; I tried burning this CD and see if it works, but it gives me errors while burning. I think it has unreadable sectors?

I have an older version of Knoppix 3.2 and that works fine. Except I couldn't do a harddrive install because he CD is scratched badly.

Anyways, do you know anything about this? I've been waiting to try this for a very long time.

xeerex
07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Joninator---again I'm only a Linux newbie but your problem sounds as though it is a cd problem, especially the read errors. Now I'm not sure on the processor recognition but you may try some of the cheatcodes that disable certain hardware detections to get it to boot all the way into X. Its been my experience with most OS's from MS to Novell and now even some with Knoppix that more often than not your particular hardware causes a conflict somewhere, even if it may appear to be software related. I always suspect hardware problems first when troubleshooting.

Stephen
07-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I have the same problem.

Ok, I just received my copy of Knoppix 3.2 June 6 Edition. I tried booting but it's SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Then it detects my processor as AMD 1.15GHz. It's suppose to be AMD Athlon XP 1800+. Anyways it gives me these weird errors saying something like, "Cloop: Read Error at pos 725014204 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix". There are more errors, but too much to type. Anyways, it booted to X but it hangs there. So, I thought it would be the CD; I tried burning this CD and see if it works, but it gives me errors while burning. I think it has unreadable sectors?

I have an older version of Knoppix 3.2 and that works fine. Except I couldn't do a harddrive install because he CD is scratched badly.

Anyways, do you know anything about this? I've been waiting to try this for a very long time.

Sounds like you have a bad CD try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt you may also want to try the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) nosmp some AMD's seem to have trouble being detected as dual processor setups.