PDA

View Full Version : mount cdrom

new-to-knoppix
01-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Hello all-
I'm use to the supermount cdrom from the redhat-mandrake linux linux

How do I mount the cdrom drive? I see a /cdrom under root, but no /mnt/cdrom?

Any help will be appreciated!

audioaficionado
01-11-2003, 12:00 AM
If you can see it on your KDE desktop, you just click on it and it should mount and open. The green arrow on the lower right corner of the desk top cdrom icon indicates it's now mounted.

Dave_Bechtel
01-11-2003, 11:36 AM
--If you need to "mount" the cdrom, then you must be running from the HD. Otherwise, all you have to do is ' ls /cdrom '.

Try (as root of course) :
' mkdir /mnt/cdrom ' == JIC
' mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom -oro '
' ls /mnt/cdrom '

--BTW, you can also try mounting sr0, and /dev/cdrom. The mount point you use can also be any existing directory name. (i.e. you can ' mount /dev/scd0 /usr ' -- but I wouldn't try it if I were you.) :shock:

Hello all-
I'm use to the supermount cdrom from the redhat-mandrake linux linux

How do I mount the cdrom drive? I see a /cdrom under root, but no /mnt/cdrom?

Any help will be appreciated!

newby
01-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I have 2 cdroms (there are 2 cdroms) and floopy icons on the desk but get "Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/floppy does not exist." I tried the mount /mnt/floppy and mount /dev/floppy but it said "Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/floppy does not exist."

The cdrom I booted from works though.

Also when I try to configure the printer it comes back, "Printer list not found"

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

newby
01-13-2003, 07:59 PM
PS I have tried the above. Mkdir and it says file exists.

newby
01-13-2003, 09:01 PM
If I mkdir /ramdisk/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /ramdisk/floppy

then change icon properties - url for the icon it works

Dave_Bechtel
01-14-2003, 08:30 AM
--Interesting... You might want to fwd that on to Klaus.

If I mkdir /ramdisk/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /ramdisk/floppy

then change icon properties - url for the icon it works

01-15-2003, 08:20 AM
I don't know who Klaus is or how to forward it to him/her. I wasn't doing it right, that is why it wasn't working at first.

I still am not finding any printer drivers though. Any suggestions about that? Thank you.

audioaficionado
01-15-2003, 09:19 AM
Printer drivers are there. I went into the KDE menu and found them under Knoppix configure printer. I found my printer but I'm out of black ink at the moment and can't tell you if the CUPS driver works. If your printer isn't listed maybe you can download a linux driver and put it on your HD to be pulled up and installed each time you're in Knoppix.

Dave_Bechtel
01-15-2003, 08:13 PM
--Klaus Knopper, (our Hero) is the guy who created and maintains Knoppix. He's slightly German, but we love him anyway. He speakee prettie guud Engwish, two. :)

--You SHOULD know who he is, so that's why I post this message.

See http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
and
http://www.knopper.net/kontakt/index-en.php3?kontakt=knoppix

I don't know who Klaus is or how to forward it to him/her. I wasn't doing it right, that is why it wasn't working at first.

I still am not finding any printer drivers though. Any suggestions about that? Thank you.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
To configure printers click:
K, KNOPPIX, Configure, Configure Printers

If that's where you are when you get 'no printers list...' that's when you click the add printer button (top left).

Good Luck!

Regards,

01-16-2003, 08:18 PM
Add a printer!! Who would have thought of that? I didn't explore all the buttons. Thank You each one.

I will remeber the name Klaus Knopper. This is a pretty cool idea!

I'd like to see Gates try something like this. Right. detect hardware, install drivers, OS, and complete software package...in one boot?? HA HA HA

01-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Hahahahaha...

I install w2k (arguably M$ best OS) and it takes three additional boots after the install to eliminate all the sw/hw conflicts. This happens every time I clean install on my computer. Once all the kinks get worked out, w2k ain't too bad.

Knoppix hits a home run most every time. Once in awhile it misses one of my CPUs. A Gnome applet errors out on initail boot but can be can be cleaned up afterwards. KDE works flawlessly every time and has all the drives/partitions on the desktop for easy access. I'm too noob to figure out how to desktop iconize my partitions in the other WMs or even get to the HD for some wallpaper LOL.

audioaficionado
01-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Dang it! I forgot to login again before posting. All my other forums won't let you post as a guest. Having five browsers gets confusing sometimes.

Dave_Bechtel
01-17-2003, 08:55 AM
--What do you need 5 browsers for? I use Opera 99% of the time (Win + Linux), and IE (Win98SE) for the rest of the sites that absolutely require it.

Dang it! I forgot to login again before posting. All my other forums won't let you post as a guest. Having five browsers gets confusing sometimes.

audioaficionado
01-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Opera7b2 (broken for now)
Opera6.05 (fall back default)
Phoenix 0.5 (up and comming)
MyIE2 (not too bad as a much more functional IE shell enhancer)
IE5 = Evil M$ crap that came with w2k

A lot of my college courses are exclusively on IE/NN only web sites. Same with student aid and loans.