PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Install

JetCowBoB
07-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I just realised, that although Knoppix is aimed at the simpleton who just wants a working system, the simpleton might be put off at having to run it from the CD all the time. Yes, there is a hdd-install script, but they would have to do some reading to learn about it etc. The simpleton ( *cough* windows user) should have the option right up front, when the CD boots.
do i want to run this from the CD, or do i want to install this puppy to my HD?

The absence of this feature does not bother me, as I have no problem using the script and then apt-gettting all the stuff i want later... and removing all the bloat... but i just think it would be nice for Mr. Simpleton.

-Matt

rickenbacherus
07-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Booting the cd is necessary to ensure that everything is working correctly before you install it to the hdd. Ever installed windows before? It takes 8 or 10 reboots to get the job done. I don't think that booting into an OS and having the ability to surf and get help while you install is a bad thing at all. Surely a noob would be more annoyed if he/she installed and then found out after the install that some things weren't set up before they did the install. Perhaps having the option there at boot would be seen as a recommendation to just install it and not to worry about whether or not it works correctly.

eadz
07-03-2003, 03:17 AM
I would say NO, but there should be a menu entry or deskop shortcut to install.

I think it's good to have knoppix up and running before you install, mainly to make sure everything works, and also so you can play games while you install :)

JetCowBoB
07-03-2003, 04:59 AM
I like the game play idea. Ill have to remember that for the future.. .
"but boss, im installing the OS!"

:mrgreen:

On another note, perhaps having a boot option to install would entail just another flag, so that after its up and running, it asks the user if everything is working fine, and then continues to run the script automatically.. no need to find a menu..

rickenbacherus
07-03-2003, 05:09 AM
I seem to recall reading on the mailing list that there is a new install script. I'd rather see the ability to mount all of my partitions and install like a traditional Linux install (/home /var /tmp etc).

Fabianx
07-04-2003, 10:04 PM
I seem to recall reading on the mailing list that there is a new install script. I'd rather see the ability to mount all of my partitions and install like a traditional Linux install (/home /var /tmp etc).

uhm, yes there is and it has this feature...

If you want to beta-beta-test it, drop me a mail at knx-installer@fabian-franz.de.

cu

Fabian

Colonel Sanders
07-05-2003, 04:58 PM
I think the script for a HDD install should be "easier to find", like perhaps on the root directory of the CD, or put some refference on the first screen that you see during the boot. For instance add a line that says "see FAQ for hard-drive install"(I think the fAQ has info on the hard-drive install?).

L J

JetCowBoB
07-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Mmmm... Fried Chicken... :D

I think the script for a HDD install should be "easier to find", like perhaps on the root directory of the CD, or put some refference on the first screen that you see during the boot. For instance add a line that says "see FAQ for hard-drive install"(I think the fAQ has info on the hard-drive install?).

L J

Yeah, this is my main reason for wanting a boot option, for a noob will hardly ever, if ever, go to a linux shell for doing much. having a nice easy way for them to install their easy to use system would be good. Just need to keep them in KDE where everything is straight forward, and if root password is needed, it asks for it instead of telling them they need to get lost and run the program as root. almost as friendly as a MAC. :-)

Doc
07-06-2003, 12:11 AM
This is what should happen...

You boot off CD and play around with Knoppix, and you should have an annoying "Did you know, you can install this on your hard-drive? Click here to do so..." type message: similar to Windows XP's take-a-tour thing-a-me....

Just an opinion.

Doc.