PDA

View Full Version : Sound only working for root

Edwin
07-03-2003, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I have installed Knoppix on my Toshiba laptop. This has an onboard soundchip which is recognised; this is some output from 'lspci -v':

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
I/O ports at cdc0 [size=64]

The strange thing is that the sound only works when I login as root. When logged in on my user-account the silence is deafening :-(

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

Oh, when I ran 'sndconfig' the chip was detected also. But then I got a message like 'error writing config file'. Sadly it did not say which error or which file. I'm pretty sure I ran this only from my user-account. Could that have anything to do with it?

TIA

- - Edwin

fingers99
07-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Try adding yourself to the audio group.

vim /etc/group

Edwin
07-03-2003, 01:34 AM
Try adding yourself to the audio group.

vim /etc/group

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried it, but allas, it does not work. In fact now I am a member of the audio group and root is not (and has never been ). But root has sound and I still have silence.

Regards,

- - Edwin

Stephen
07-03-2003, 02:31 AM
Hi,

I have installed Knoppix on my Toshiba laptop. This has an onboard soundchip which is recognised; this is some output from 'lspci -v':

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
I/O ports at cdc0 [size=64]

The strange thing is that the sound only works when I login as root. When logged in on my user-account the silence is deafening :-(

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

Oh, when I ran 'sndconfig' the chip was detected also. But then I got a message like 'error writing config file'. Sadly it did not say which error or which file. I'm pretty sure I ran this only from my user-account. Could that have anything to do with it?

TIA

- - Edwin

As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to create the devices for the ALSA sound system. When you re-boot the sound levels will be lost edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the mixer levels automatically set this also as root. You may also want to check this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831) to get the most out of the sound system.

Edwin
07-03-2003, 04:46 PM
As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to create the devices for the ALSA sound system. When you re-boot the sound levels will be lost edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the mixer levels automatically set this also as root. You may also want to check this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831) to get the most out of the sound system.

Well, my install did not have alsa, so I installed it but then there was no alsa-autoconfig. I wrestled with this for a few hours and then I saw the light:

Start -> Control Center -> Sound and Multimedia. Enabled 'Start aRts soundserver at startup' and 'Run soundserver with realtime priority'. That did the trick; problem is solved.

Thanks to all who responded,

- - Edwin