PDA

View Full Version : Help me plz, I am an uber noob

microsoft_sucks
07-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Hey guys a while ago I switched my server over to linux and I wasn't really sure if I would like it or not, anyway I only did an 9 gb partition on it and I let my cs server run, it has been like a few months now and the thing ran out of space, I spent hours but was unable to start up x-windows, it always went to failsafe and I don't know how to get those files into my dell-computer. So last night I downloaded knoppix, put it in the cd drive and boom I was in, but I am always logged under knoppix. I know my root account password, infact there is no password for root, and I need to login as root so I can get my psychostats, logfiles, and a bunch of other things from my server like the script someone gave me so it restarts every 12 hours and all that crap, I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me how I can get access to these files, I tried to logout in KDE and that stopped the entire knoppix session and I tried the command login but it says it must be done at sh or whatever so I type in sh then login and I get the same message, thanks for your help :) Oh yeah and I forgot to mention like every 5 minutes or 10 minutes the screen goes blank when running knoppix and I have to restart the computer.

rickenbacherus
07-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Have a look at the documentation here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqRescue)

adamm
07-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I would much rather have seen
"Could someone please help, I am new to linux"
than

"Help me plz, I am an uber noob"

I'm getting sick of this "noob" stuff, and bad spelling. :x
Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's starting to tick me off. :wink:

microsoft_sucks
07-03-2003, 08:21 PM
sorry but I still don't understand I read all these faqs and stuff. I do not want to back up the entire disk on the other computer because I don't have 9 gb free. What I need to do is get access to the root folder and the /halflife/ folder for which I need to be logged in as root. I already had a previous installation of mandrake, can someone point me or tell me step by step instructions on how to do it, thanks a lot. So far the stuff I read isn't making much sense.

rickenbacherus
07-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Q: I need to get into my Debian system to update some packages as my system is unable to boot! How do I do that?

A: Boot with the Knoppix CD and mount that partition using the Knoppix root shell. For example:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
chroot /mnt/hda1

Does this not apply to your situation? OK so you don't have Debian- it's MDK, still it's the same.

adamm
07-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Boot to the desktop, then I think you have to click on the partitions on the desktop first so they will become mounted. Once you can see the contents of the partition, you can get to a root shell by hitting (ctrl+alt+F2) this will drop you to a shell as root where you should be able to get to the data under /mnt/hda<1,2,3,etc>

Hope this helps.

microsoft_sucks
07-03-2003, 08:38 PM
when I did the ctrl alt f2 the whole window becomes a root shell, and the problem is I don't know what to do with it. I only know how to use linux in the gui form. What I want to do is copy /halflife/cstrike/logs to my machine named DELL-COMPUTER at 192.168.1.100 in its c:/backuphlserver and then I want to copy /root/psychostats1.9.1 to c:/backupPS is there anyway I can get access to these root directories through the gui, please understand I am new to this and I am really sorry I'm so stupid but linux is new for me, thanks for your time.