PDA

View Full Version : How to delete files

microsoft_sucks
07-03-2003, 10:05 PM
On another thread in this forum I talked about getting access to one of my linux hard drives, well that option failed and I am not smart enough to really login as root and backup through the gui so after loooking in my HD I saw that I have a lot of files I can delete. So i tried to delete them and move them to the trash but I could do neither. I have read access to both of these files, but I think the owner is root, that is who I downloaded them with. Anyway my question is how do I delete files in knoppix, in fact if you know how to delete files from failsafe that would be even better, thanks a lot, and the files I want to delete are :
/halflife/hlds_l_3110_full.bin
/halflife/cstrike_full.tar.gz

Dave_Bechtel
07-04-2003, 05:00 AM
--News flash: for system administration, you have to be root.

--I use ' mc ' pretty much exclusively for deleting files. "Tag" files/directories using Insert key, F8 to delete.

--What problems are you having accessing drives? Common problems are no r/w access to NTFS, (blame MS) and drives being mounted read-only by default from CD.

On another thread in this forum I talked about getting access to one of my linux hard drives, well that option failed and I am not smart enough to really login as root and backup through the gui so after loooking in my HD I saw that I have a lot of files I can delete. So i tried to delete them and move them to the trash but I could do neither. I have read access to both of these files, but I think the owner is root, that is who I downloaded them with. Anyway my question is how do I delete files in knoppix, in fact if you know how to delete files from failsafe that would be even better, thanks a lot, and the files I want to delete are :
/halflife/hlds_l_3110_full.bin
/halflife/cstrike_full.tar.gz