PDA

View Full Version : Changing IRQ

cjaferre
07-04-2003, 03:11 PM
How can i force my netcard to assume a determined IRQ?

Actualy my card is set to IRQ 22. Obviously it's not working...
How can I set it to 5 or 4, for example!

Cassio

rickenbacherus
07-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Well......let's see, there must be at least 1000 different NIC's in the world and no two of them exactly the same so how about at least a hint as to what kind of hardware you have?

Have you put 'irq' into the search field at the top ceneter of the page?

Have a look at the documentation too, especially the cheatcodes.

cjaferre
07-05-2003, 05:06 PM
OK,

I have a Desknote A929.
The networkcard is a SIS900.

I looked for a way to say to knoppix, put the card in IRQ 5, but i haven`t found anything.

I don`t know much of seting hardware in linux, but I imagine there`s a way of forcing a IRQ, right?

I also tried Kurumin a brazilian Knoppix based distribution, my net worked fine runing from CD, but after a HD intall I have the same problem I have with knoppix.
When running Kurumin from the CD my net is assigned at IRQ 5.
but after hdinstall it goes to 22.

Thanks

Cassio

rickenbacherus
07-06-2003, 04:50 AM
Are you booting with LILO? If so, add this to your /etc/lilo.conf append=" " line.

pci=biosirq

For example:

append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi pci=biosirq"
Hopefully that overides any automatic IRQ steering done by Linux. You might go into your BIOS just to see what IRQ it wants to assign to your NIC. It is entirely possible for devices on the pci bus to share IRQ's but the s900 seems to be "one of those cards" that insists on having things its own way. Also do lsmod and see if the driver for your NIC is installed.

cjaferre
07-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks to all...

But I found a solution!!!
The biosirq didn't work.
Then I found a noapic, that solved my problems. With this parameter in Lilo, the IRQs are not changed to "high" values.
Now my network card is in IRQ 5, working fine!

Thanks again

Cassio

rickenbacherus
07-25-2003, 02:54 AM
Thanks for posting your solution. That's what makes a forum work!