PDA

View Full Version : help please

punk000
07-05-2003, 12:58 AM
sorry to post this here... but my parents suck and insit on haveing windows in the compu... and when me crashed... they opted for win 98 over one of my many flavors of linux\unix...... anyways to cut a long story short...... they have win 98 now..... and i can get into the computers bios..... (my dad is also an ass who insist that i use windows..... even over botable unix!.... he refuses to accept anyhting else cuz "why wud everyone have win if its no good.... tell me that dave") so please someone out there has to tell me how to change the computers bios so it will boot the floppy, then the cd, then the hd......

help me please anyone, im desperate to get rid of this little gay flaggy thing on the start bar..... its taunting me

xeerex
07-05-2003, 02:35 AM
First off, since your Dad pays the bills including being nice enough to buy you a computer, I'd suggest you follow his rules. If he says Windows, then until you are of age to support yourself, then Windows it is.

Second, you may try explaining to him in a concise and respectful manner that there are other OS's that can used. Maybe if you are nice enough, he will let you set up the pc to dual boot. That way he can have Windows and you can have linux or whatever.

Third, I doubt you will get much if any Windows support here. If you want, register on my message board (www.rexpage.com/forum) and post your specific Windows problem there. If you do it nicely without flaming your Dad, I am might be nice enough to help ya since I am a Windows user that is slowly delving into the wonder-world of linux.

Of course, google can be used in IE as well.

PS: I almost forgot to answer the question---the BIOS comes before the OS.

punk000
07-05-2003, 04:50 AM
first, computer was a gift to me, second hes my step dad and dont ,pay shit, third he knows nothing of computers and needs my help to do the comlexe task of registering for yahoo.......

i pay rent to my mom, he does not...... right now he is 10 feet from me sleeping in his underpants..... on the couch....

you answer, thak you for trying to help me, i aprecate it... but ive looked for the bios in the startup (was there before) but for some reason is not now...... i need help in getting my computer to bot off the cd rom......

xeerex
07-05-2003, 06:57 AM
You can spare the details of your dad's (step dad--whatever) dress. That is not relevant to the problem.

Neither is the fact that "your" computer runs Win98, Win95, or Win 3.11 for that matter. When the computer first begins to boot up, you need to hit the key that will take you to the BIOS setup. That will vary by BIOS manufacter (and computer OEM); however, it is generally F2, F8, F10, or DEL. The only real way to find it is to reboot and begin pressing keys till you get into the BIOS. Then change the boot sequence.

fingers99
07-05-2003, 09:10 AM
In the meantime, in between time, it's as difficult being a stepfather as it is being a stepson! Honest! And people who know bugger all about computers are usually very touchy about other people "messing" with them.

You can probably pick up a box capable of running Linux well for < $200.

punk000
07-05-2003, 07:30 PM
lol sorry, telling you about hw hes dressed was mean...:P

anways, i probly could get a computer..... but right now all my money is tied up in muay thai and jui jitsu........ not to metnion my phone and such..... so knoppix is what im gonna have to settle for, untill i move and take my computer with me...... but for now i can have fun going in from knoppix and playing with batch scripts :P...... thanks for the help guys, i found a boot dickette utility (on the knoppix cd **feeling stupid**)

u guys rules