PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix broke my computer...

lnxusr
07-06-2003, 06:29 PM
This is a serious problem for me because I did this in work thinking nothing would be a problem, but then the computer refused to boot up again. I really would like to not lose my job as a result of Linux. I simply put the knoppix CD, latest version, in the computer, A Dell P-IV, and booted up, everything was great. I decided to shut down and when Knoppix told me to remove the CD, I did, but then instead of hitting enter, like it said, I just turned off the compuer by accident. I turned the computer back on and it sounded like it was booting up, but the screen just kept flashing "No Signal". The monitor is a Planar LCD screen if that helps at all. I previously read a post that said to unplug it and hold the power button in for like 10 seconds to totally drain the power, but I'm not sure if that will work. If anyone can give me a definite answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
-Steve

Stephen
07-06-2003, 07:10 PM
I previously read a post that said to unplug it and hold the power button in for like 10 seconds to totally drain the power, but I'm not sure if that will work. If anyone can give me a definite answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
-Steve

Unpluging it and waiting a while seems to be the solution to the problem caused by Dell's computers handling of a shutdown by knoppix.

rickenbacherus
07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
It seems that the NVRAM gets jammed up on those Dells and for some reason they can't get past it. When you leave the power cord connected there is apparently some current keeping the NVRAM alive- like Stephen said unplug it for a while- not 5 seconds, maybe even overnight but at least 5 or 10 minutes should do it.

stonent
07-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Usually you can speed it up by hitting the power button several times while unplugged.

Dave_Bechtel
07-08-2003, 07:43 AM
--Sigh... I really don't mean to be rude; but if you read about a proposed solution, why didn't you at least TRY IT before posting?

This is a serious problem for me because I did this in work thinking nothing would be a problem, but then the computer refused to boot up again. I really would like to not lose my job as a result of Linux. I simply put the knoppix CD, latest version, in the computer, A Dell P-IV, and booted up, everything was great. I decided to shut down and when Knoppix told me to remove the CD, I did, but then instead of hitting enter, like it said, I just turned off the compuer by accident. I turned the computer back on and it sounded like it was booting up, but the screen just kept flashing "No Signal". The monitor is a Planar LCD screen if that helps at all. I previously read a post that said to unplug it and hold the power button in for like 10 seconds to totally drain the power, but I'm not sure if that will work. If anyone can give me a definite answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
-Steve

stonent
07-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Sometimes I just don't understand people.. :lol:

rdoma219
07-08-2003, 11:09 PM
I ran into a problem with my dell 4550, I had a memory module failure after ejecting the knoppix cd. Had to reseat the memory.:shock:

stonent
07-08-2003, 11:26 PM
The diagnostic lights on the back will indicate a memory failure when this happens, however it really isn't.

rdoma219
07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I don't understand, if the diagnostic lights on the back show that it is a memory failure,(and that is just what happened) and reseating the memory took care of the problem, then what is the problem? :shock:

stonent
07-09-2003, 10:44 PM
By any chance did you disconnect power from the system? :wink:
I've seen this at least a dozen times, each time the lights indicate failed memory. If you remove power for a while, it will fix it. You probably removed power when reseating the memory.

silkodyssey
07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Im glad I don't have a dell computer right now :lol: