PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...

StuPC
01-10-2003, 09:47 PM
:(

I love the idea of Knoppix, but unfortunately haven't been able to check it for myself - whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages:

#1 "initrd extends beyond range of memory (0x1bff5db4)"

and then, a few seconds later...

#2 "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 01:01"

And then the boot hangs there forever (well, probably; obviously I haven't actually left it quite that long!)

Does anyone know what the problem might be and if there's a way to get around it? Any suggestions gratefully very received.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 1600 with 512Mb RAM and 40G HDD, if that's any help.

Stu

audioaficionado
01-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Make a boot floopy from the en image on your CD-R. Then reset your bios to make sure the floppy boots first. Try it this way and see if it will load.

Loper
01-11-2003, 12:39 AM
<snip>
...whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages...
</snip>

You MAY have a memory problem. Go to

http://www.memtest86.com

and download the FREE program -- there are versions that create a bootable floppy and a bootable CD, pick which is appropriate to your needs. Some memory problems will never be seen by Windows, but will clobber Linux.

Another possibility is an incompatible chipset -- what'cha got?

Dave_Bechtel
01-11-2003, 11:44 AM
--I have to do this for my "fast" system (AMD 900MHz Duron with 196(608?) KB of Ram:

boot: ' knoppix mem=190M ' == Make sure you cap the M

--The reason for it is that the Knoppix boot process can't autodetect the proper amount of RAM that's installed on the machine when it tries to boot. HD-installed Linux (including Knoppix!) works fine w/o any boot switches. (shrug) Only happens on that one machine. Klaus mentioned something a long time ago about certain motherboards / chipsets having this issue; I just passed on the workaround. Post results.

:(

I love the idea of Knoppix, but unfortunately haven't been able to check it for myself - whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages:

#1 "initrd extends beyond range of memory (0x1bff5db4)"

and then, a few seconds later...

#2 "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 01:01"

And then the boot hangs there forever (well, probably; obviously I haven't actually left it quite that long!)

Does anyone know what the problem might be and if there's a way to get around it? Any suggestions gratefully very received.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 1600 with 512Mb RAM and 40G HDD, if that's any help.

Stu

StuPC
01-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Actually, I seem to remember having to do something very similar when I tried (and eventually failed) to install RedHat...

When do I type this in? My system never gives me any opportunity before or during the boot-up... (my apologies if I'm being thick here)

Cheers,

Stu

--I have to do this for my "fast" system (AMD 900MHz Duron with 196(608?) KB of Ram:

boot: ' knoppix mem=190M ' == Make sure you cap the M

--The reason for it is that the Knoppix boot process can't autodetect the proper amount of RAM that's installed on the machine when it tries to boot. HD-installed Linux (including Knoppix!) works fine w/o any boot switches. (shrug) Only happens on that one machine. Klaus mentioned something a long time ago about certain motherboards / chipsets having this issue; I just passed on the workaround. Post results.

audioaficionado
01-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Right at boot startup when you're first seeing knoppix/linux text, you have to hit F2. Then you will then be presented with the cheat code screen. Just type it in and hit enter. Let us know what happens.

StuPC
01-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks very much for the help, guys - that worked perfectly.
Now, if I can only get Knoppix to recognise my modem, printer, camera and MP3 player... :wink: