PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Its SLOW!

CaffeineGamer
07-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Hello,
I am new at Linux and I love the KDE Knoppix interface. I only have 32 megs of ram and it runs slow. I was wondering what I can do to maybe speed it up some till I get some ram, witch will be a while cause im broke.

Thank You

rickenbacherus
07-06-2003, 11:31 PM
You got KDE to run on 32M RAM? That's an accomplishment in itself. Try booting with a different desktop like icewm or better yet fluxbox.

CaffeineGamer
07-07-2003, 01:48 AM
And may i please ask how to do that?

rickenbacherus
07-07-2003, 01:52 AM
It's all right here in the docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes).

Just do something like this:

boot: knoppix lang=us desktop=icewm

plus any other cheat codes you normally use. You can try fluxbox but it's kind of spartan- takes some getting used to.

CaffeineGamer
07-07-2003, 06:14 AM
yes it is still slow, it takes about 10 minutes to open the Mozilla Browser.

burke3gd
07-07-2003, 07:02 AM
As rickenbacherus said: What do you expect? Just getting the gui up and running on those specs is really good. Try running Fluxbox instead of KDE and use Konqueror instead of Mozilla. If Konqueror also crawls (which it probably does), try running links. (It's a text-browser.)

CaffeineGamer
07-08-2003, 04:41 PM
I would like to thank all that helped. I am running the Fluxbox desktop and it helped alot. But wwhen I boot it i get a bunch of errors. Could this be from a bad download? I reburned it and still have the same errors.

thanks

Stephen
07-08-2003, 06:14 PM
I would like to thank all that helped. I am running the Fluxbox desktop and it helped alot. But wwhen I boot it i get a bunch of errors. Could this be from a bad download? I reburned it and still have the same errors.

thanks

If you posted the errors we might be able to tell you.