PDA

View Full Version : DHCP failed

kenny
07-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Hello, everybody

I downloaded the newest Knoppix 3.2 and my computer is a P4 1.8G with a M$ XP. Under XP, I can use DHCP to connect the internet through my netcard. Under Knoppix, I try to run the netcardconfig, selected the DHCP, but it replyed "Failed". I am sure the network can also be reached with Macintosh OS X.
Can anybody give me a suggestion to make the DHCP work on knoppix?
Thank you very much.

kenny

rickenbacherus
07-07-2003, 04:46 AM
What kind of NIC? Did you enter 'dhcp' in the search field on the top of the page. You'd probably find some good suggestions there.

kenny
07-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Hello, rickenbacherus

Yes, I have already searched on the forum, but not found similar problems.
What is NIC? I have no idea about it. Can you explain it to me?
And my network administratator give me the following information, hope it can help you understand my situation:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately, we do not provide official support for Linux operating
systems. Also, I have no personal experience with Knoppix. However,
getting these things to work is normally pretty simple. I've personally
used several linux distributions with the campus ethernet with no
problems.

It's not really possible to manually configure your network setting
because part of what DHCP does is assign dynamic IP addresses. Without
that assignment, you have no IP address and any other settings that you
apply are useless.

I would double check to ensure that your network card is being detected
and configured correctly. Is the interface up? Routes established?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think it's wield because my XP can connect out successfully with DHCP, is there
something different in the process of bootup DHCP between XP and linux?

Thank you for your reply,

kenny

rickenbacherus
07-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Yes Knoppix will work with DHCP. A NIC is Network Interface Card. What kind of network card do you have? Is it an onboard or a PCI card or pcmcia? We need to know what chipset it uses. Have a look in windows device manager- not sure what it will tell you but surely somewhere in windows it will tell you what you have. You could boot the Knoppix cd and do this in a terminal:

lspci -v

kenny
07-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi, rickenbacherus

In the XP, it is a RTL-8139 netcard. I found that there's a file under /etc has the correct netcard information about 8139foo under knoppix.

Thank you very much,

kenny

catfish
07-07-2003, 04:47 PM
In the XP, it is a RTL-8139 netcard. I found that there's a file under /etc has the correct netcard information about 8139foo under knoppix.

Thank you very much,

kenny
I had similar symptoms (dhcp failure on a P4 1.7G with a RTL-8139 nic) that was solved by booting with the noapic option. That is, at the boot prompt enter:knoppix noapic

In the startup logs (dmesg) there was a "NETDEV timeout message" that provided a clue to my problem.

Your mileage may vary...

kenny
07-08-2003, 04:43 AM
Hello, catfish

You are quite right! Now I can use DHCP to connect to internet successfully. Thank you very much!
It must be a bug of knoppix, hope it will be fixed in the next version.
And thanks for everyone here,

Yours,
Kenny

Harry Kuhman
07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
It must be a bug of knoppix, hope it will be fixed in the next version.

Don't be so sure it's a bug in Knoppix - I have a different NIC (one built into a laptop), but had a problem that sounds the same as yours. knoppix noapic also solves my problem. But here's the kicker - the same Knoppix CDR (written and finalized) used to boot and work on the network fine on the same computer! And I'm also running XP on the system as you are. And as far as I can tell, the eeprom settings in the NIC have been changed.

At least we have a work-around. And maybe a future version will be able to always set up the NIC properly, no matter what the eeprom tells it.