PDA

View Full Version : hddinstall with patition magic?

THiM
07-07-2003, 02:47 PM
I dont know other partition programs. Before hdd installing can I use Partition Magic to create Linux Swap, etc ???

Edwin
07-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Partition Magic 8.0 can create Linux partitions (don't know about earlier versions). However if your HD is not NFTS but FAT32 you don't need Partition Magic. You can resize your HD with parted (type 'man parted' in a console to see how to do this). Then run the install script. This will start cfdisk which will let you make the partitions. But again, don't use parted on a NFTS-formatted drive. It could (will?) wipe out all your data.

- - Edwin

THiM
07-07-2003, 04:03 PM
hmm
I have 3 GB hd space left. I want Knoppix with minimum installation that can be. How much disc space it needs? I don't want full installation, only most necessary programs

Stephen
07-07-2003, 05:23 PM
hmm
I have 3 GB hd space left. I want Knoppix with minimum installation that can be. How much disc space it needs? I don't want full installation, only most necessary programs

Knoppix requires a minimum of 2.2gb for / and 128mb for /swap also the latest versions include QTParted (similar to partition Magic) which you can use to re-partition your drive if you wish.

Edwin
07-07-2003, 05:30 PM
For a standard install Knoppix needs a minimun of 2.5 GB for the root partition. For the swap the rule of thumb seems to be twice the size of your RAM, where more then 500 MB is not sensible (the last part I got from someone at a local usergroup, so others may have a different opinion). There are several remastered versions available, one of which might suit you. Have a look here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations). You can also do a 'poor man install', where you copy the iso-image from the CD to your HD and boot from there. Look at the howto (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo); not something for the faint of heart it appears.

- - Edwin

softgun
07-07-2003, 05:31 PM
3GB is sufficient to install a Debian system with knoppix. You cannot really control what you install. Once installed you can remove and add programs.

Is your partition a FAT partition? If so using partionmagic create a logical ext2 partion of 3GB. Then resize this by reducing it by 250MB or so. When asked wheter to reduce it from the FAT partions ssay no. Then you will be left with a free partition. Right click this and select a linux swap. Then write the cahnges to disc.
Now you can install Knoppix.

shadoman
07-08-2003, 03:35 PM
I have used Partition Magic 6 and 8 to create ext2 and swap partitions...had no problems....I let Mandrake create partitions once and it tried to write past the available cylinders...had to completely re-install both OS's...now I always leave 1% unallocated space at the end of my drive... :lol: haven't had a problem since... Hope this info helps...