PDA

View Full Version : knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players

Koga
01-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi,

my Knoppix cd booted just fine, untill I replaced my cdrom reader with a new Samsung 48x cdwriter (SW- 248B ). My computer just hangs after reporting
"1. FD 1.44 MB System Type - (00)"
No Knoppix screen appears.

However, it can boot from a Windows 98, Mandrake & Debian Netinstall cd. I wrote to Samsung, but their support staff doesn't know the difference between booting and writing...

What could cause these problems ? What's so special about the Knoppix boot procedure that the other cd's apparantly don't have ?

greetz,

Dominique De Munck

PS : I'm quite sure it's not a bad cd to be blamed, because I tested it with 2 different Knoppix cd's who work on other computers.

(same post as on linuxtag, got no reaction there however)

audioaficionado
01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
I have a samsug 32-10-40 CD-R/W that reads/writes OK or Knoppix wouldn't work at all. However I don't boot from it as my BIOS is too old to enable CD-ROM booting. Try using the floppy boot option and see if it works then. That 1.44MB sure looks like a floppy size. I assume you have CD boot set as first in your BIOS.

Loper
01-11-2003, 12:27 AM
<snip>
...I replaced my cdrom reader with a new Samsung 48x cdwriter ...
</snip>

Check in your BIOS to make sure that DMA is turned on and that the boot order is correct. Windows can override BIOS DMA settings, but I'm not sure about Knoppix.

Another thing to check: make sure that the CD burner's firmware (internal BIOS) is up-to-date. It's not unusual for there to be a revision available, even in a new drive. You can check this from Windows using Device Manager; bringing up the Settings tab from the Properties selection of the menu for the CD-ROM drive will show the firmware version. Check this against the Samsung website.

Ian Tindale
01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Just an intuition (probably wrong) but I'd try this:
Find the boot options in the bios and turn CD rom booting OFF.
Then boot up as normal, into an OS of some sort, then shut down and complete power down.
Then go back into the BIOS and set CD rom booting back up again as you desire it.
Then after another power cycle, see what happens.
- Probably won't make a difference, but it's what I'd try.