PDA

View Full Version : Cannot write to hd HELP!

Juggalo_X
07-08-2003, 12:42 AM
I am new to knoppix and would like to write files to my HD while in knoppix, i am usind the knoppix cd. can anyone help me out? or direct me to a thread that can. Thanx.

Edwin
07-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Right-click on the HD-icon in the Desktop. Select 'Properties" from the popup-menu (it is the last item). In the Dialog select the tab 'Device' and uncheck the box 'Read Only'.

WARNING: Don't do this if the HD is NFTS-formatted. Linux can not handle NFTS-disks well. It can read them but cannot write to them. That's why this option is disabled by default (you don't want to destroy all your data, do you?).

With FAT-partitions this will work however.

<second thought>
This info (about NFTS) was in the help-files that came with my first Knoppix CD. That was in April 2003. Could things have changed?
</second thought>

- - Edwin

Stephen
07-08-2003, 01:32 AM
<second thought>
This info (about NFTS) was in the help-files that came with my first Knoppix CD. That was in April 2003. Could things have changed?
</second thought>

- - Edwin
No it has not do not write to ntfs.

Juggalo_X
07-08-2003, 02:45 AM
Thanx.... that helps me alot.

Edwin
07-08-2003, 03:23 AM
No it has not do not write to ntfs.

Stephen,

OK, I won't. Sorry for the mix-up in acronyms. So it is NTFS and not NFTS. Sorry to the original poster as well. But I am known to confuse all these FLWA's and TLWA's ;=) Having been a sound-engineer for 14 years I still specify mail-servers with 'smpt' instead of 'smtp'.

SMPT is a time-code format (Zappa wrote a great song about it) but it does not work very well to identify a mailserver ;=)

Ah well...,

Regards,

- - Edwin

Stephen
07-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Sorry for the mix-up in acronyms. So it is NTFS and not NFTS.

I do it all the time I'll sit there at the console and wonder why didn't that damn command work only to see I had a couple of letters backwards and yes it is ntfs (New Technology File System in MS parlance). A bit off topic but if you ever want to know what those acronyms stand for open a console and dict acronym and it will tell you, works for regular words too.

Edwin
07-08-2003, 06:34 AM
A bit off topic but if you ever want to know what those acronyms stand for open a console and dict acronym and it will tell you, works for regular words too.

Well, maybe it is off topic. But it is a great tip as well. Thank you for it.

- - - Edwin