PDA

View Full Version : Design Programs

thegroover
07-08-2003, 02:06 AM
Has anyone got any suggestions for perhaps near professional applications available for designing on linux?

I regularly use Photoshop and Dreamweaver as well as Flash and Fireworks and it would be good to have a look at a linux alternative.

Perhaps they could be emulated? I own Flash but I am saving for the others. I work with them all every day at work though so I am not too keen on relearning how to walk after learning so much about the windows apps.

rickenbacherus
07-08-2003, 02:14 AM
GIMP is a popular graphics program although I don't really know what it is or isn't capable of since drawing stick figures present a challenge for me. :D

The others progs (assuming they're wimpdoze apps) can presumably run in WINE but I can't promise you that since I don't know what they are either.

Kmenu>WINE

burke3gd
07-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Pro design programs are nonexistant on Linux so your only bet is trying to run your existing programs under Wine. If you do design for a living I'm sorry to say that Linux isn't probably for you. :( You'd probably be better of with a new Mac if you want to do pro design and still enjoy the benefits of a unix-like OS.

thegroover
07-08-2003, 09:59 AM
design for a living I'm sorry to say that Linux isn't probably for you

Thanks burke3gd, it's ok. I have a Windows 2000 machine that I use for design and it serves me quite well across the spectrum of work that I do.

I will one day (when my after hours business becomes a thriving enterprise) make room for Mac Laptops because as you say, it is a unix-like OS.

I suppose music composition is non-exhistant either?

GIMP is a popular graphics program although I don't really know what it is or isn't capable of

Thanks for rickenbacherus, I have heard a lot about GIMP. I am yet to see what it is and isn't capable of but you don't hear of many professional applications where designers have used GIMP. Like most almost-professional programs, it probably limited to RGB which is unsuitable for printing.

By the way, I have gone to Linux because I want to better understand the Linux way of doing things especially online with PHP and the likes of about 99% of web servers. In other light, I like the look and feel plus I need something that can do all the office work. Knoppix comes with all the office tools I need so bugger the cost of Microsoft Office... that's one penny they aren't getting from me.

Cheers to everyone on this forum!!