PDA

View Full Version : SMC 2532W-B wireless NIC not detected -- pcmcia config

mapezaid
07-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi all-
I have an SMC 2532W-B pcmcia wNIC that is supported by the linux-wlan-ng drivers. However, it is not recognized at boot because it is not found in the /etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 file (at least I think this is the problem). I get an 'unsupported card [57]" error on boot.

cardctl ident gives me all the correct product and manfid info on my card, but how can I edit the config file? do I have to remaster the CD or is there a way to 'fake' knoppix into using ramdisk for this file? Is there some other way to force the card to initialize since the drivers should support it?

Thanks, Matt

mapezaid
07-10-2003, 07:11 PM
This is the method I'm using to rty to manually install my wireless NIC. Anyone know why it doesn't work?

1: Copy /etc/pcmcia/config and config.opts to /ramdisk/home

2: use cardctl ident to get info on the card. add the following to /ramdisk/home/config:
device "prism2_cs"
class "network" module "prism2_cs"

card "SMC2532W-B WliteConnect Wireless Adapter"
version "SMC", "SMC2532W-B WliteConnect Wireless Adapter"
manfid 0xd601, 0x0005
bind "prism2_cs"

3: run modprobe prism2_cs

4: run cardmgr -c /ramdisk/home to force the new config file to be used

The error I get is:
cardmgr[1558] open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or Resource busy.

The NIC is still not available... Anyone know what this error could be pointing to? Does this method have any possibility of even working? thanks!

moxieman1
09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Anyone get this card working?

radman
04-28-2004, 08:19 PM
moxieman,

I got this card to work in my toshiba laptop this past Saturday. It took me about a week to figure it out. Although I am a newbie in linux.

I am using Knoppix 3.3 installed on the hard drive.

I found out that the sample information on the SMC site uses a different manfid than what my card has. I used cardctl -ident and that gave me the correct id. Then I looked in the amtel config file in /etc/pcmcia and saw the driver they were binding to is not the standard pcmcia_cs or wavelan_cs. So I edited the conf file in /etc/pcmcia just like the sample at the SMC site suggested, but substituted the correct manfid and driver in the appropriate places.

I rebooted the machine and BAM it worked like a champ.

Up until I figured that out I downloaded drivers (found that none were needed). I recompiled the kernel 3 or 4 times (not needed).

And in the end Knoppix already has the driver, the kernel is already set correctly and all I had to do was edit the proper config files.

Hope this helped.