PDA

View Full Version : Compaq mv monitor woes.

rdoma219
07-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :shock:

Edwin
07-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?

Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.

HTH,

- - Edwin

rdoma219
07-09-2003, 09:30 PM
rdoma219 wrote:
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?

Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.

HTH,

- - Edwin

:shock: Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.

Edwin
07-10-2003, 01:22 AM
rdoma219 wrote:
:shock: Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop?

I don't know. Don't think so, but you could just try it. As you are booting from CD your entire OS runs in memory. You can't do any harm. If it does not work just reboot.

Also there are more boot-options (cheat-codes) then the F2 trick reveals. You can have a look at them here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes). You can string them together. For starters you could try 'knoppix 2' or 'knoppix 2 vga=normal'. If that gives you a console the problem is with xserver, but I must confess that I am a little out of depht with that.

I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.

The exact wording of the message on screen would probally help. That is (just) one of the great things of Linux: the error-messages actually help; they don't leave you wondering what sort of marketing-ploy is unleashed on your machine if you click OK ;=)

- - Edwin

Stephen
07-10-2003, 01:52 AM
In addition to the above suggestions you could try the noddc cheat code to stop auto-detection of the monitor some monitors have a problem with that which causes them to blank and that may be happening here.

alexanderwait
07-10-2003, 08:02 PM
:shock: Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.

I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated.

rdoma219
07-11-2003, 12:05 AM
I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated

Thanks for the info, it worked, now I have to enter a code to change the language from german to english. :shock: