PDA

View Full Version : Root login problems (HD Install)

Peterobe
07-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Hello

I am new to Linux and must confess I don't know an awful lot about it-but I am trying to learn.

I installed Knoppix on my HD (dual boot - XP). I managed to install it without to much difficulty but when it comes to the login page I am prompted for a login name and password for Knoppix user and Root user. When I type in the names I set up for Root, it keeps on telling me the name and/or password is wrong. I can only log in as a knoppix user which doesn't allow me to do very much.

I am not very familiar with linux tools so need a step by step guide on how to alter this (if I can).

Help please

Thank you in advance.

burke3gd
07-09-2003, 08:08 AM
The name of the root-user is "root" so you can't give it any other name. Try typing "root" (in lower case) as the username and then use the password you specified during install. Or click root in the list on the left and type only the password if you'are using the kdm login manager. Also remember that linux is case-sensitive so you need to type the password and usernames exactly the same way as during the install.

If you for some reason can't remember the root password you probably will need to do a reinstall.

aaronforjesus
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
I had the same trouble with the hard drive install. Here are the steps that I did:
1. I booted the Knoppix CD
2. I mounted the partition where Linux was installed during the knx-hdinstall as read-write (right click on the disk icon, select Properties, then Device, and de-select "Read only")
3. I located the /etc/shadow file on the partition (be sure that it is the one on the hard drive, not the CD)
4. I opened up a root terminal (under the K menu>KNOPPIX)
5. I typed "kedit /mnt/hdax/etc/shadow" (where x is the hard drive partition)
6. The first line was root. I deleted everything between the first two colons (":"). That is the encrypted password.

The line will now be "root::0:99999:7:::"

Logout from the CD and remove it. You can now log into root leaving the password blank. When you are in root, open a terminal and type passwd to change your password.

rickenbacherus
07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
If you are using LILO to boot Linux then at the LILO prompt do this:

linux single

Then after it boots (into text mode)

passwd

Then just give root a new password.

Stephen
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
In addition to the other helpful suggestions already made if you used a password for root longer than 8 characters the password got shortened to only the first 8 characters try just using the first 8 characters when you login if this was the case.