PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, another bootup problem

funtownarcade
07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Ahhhh!
I've tried almost every concievable combination of the "cheat codes" including vga=normal xmodule=vesa, expert, failsafe, no*everything*, resolutions, and so on and so forth.
My problem is after autoconfiguration says "done" it freezes!

Also at the begining it says "error, only one processor found" other than that nothing looks out of the ordinary. I tried to check the cd and let it run checking then when i came back there was a black screen and it was frozen.

Any ideas?

mack
07-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Ahhhh!
I've tried almost every concievable combination of the "cheat codes" including vga=normal xmodule=vesa, expert, failsafe, no*everything*, resolutions, and so on and so forth.
My problem is after autoconfiguration says "done" it freezes!

Also at the begining it says "error, only one processor found" other than that nothing looks out of the ordinary. I tried to check the cd and let it run checking then when i came back there was a black screen and it was frozen.

Any ideas?

Usually, when I get this kind of problem, I remove the 'quiet' keyword from the boot command and look what the kernel really does before it gets stuck. If it gets stuck during the knoppix hardware detection phase, before the real init is loaded, I edit linuxrc in miniroot.gz and add '-x' to the #!/static/sh, so I can see what it was doing.

If the problem seems to be after init is started, try booting interactively and check where it hangs.

Post the results of the above tests if you need further help.

(and no, you don't need to remaster and reburn in order to do all that. Just install lilo with the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz from boot.img and boot from your disk instead of cd. It'll mount your cd from linuxrc during reboot).