PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Gforce3 ti 200 - 128MB DDR

Duffin444
07-11-2003, 01:50 AM
I have just built a new computer that I wish to dual boot with Windows XP and Knoppix (Debian). I need to know what I need to do to get a working Knoppix install onto a system that has this hardware.

MoBo - Asus a7n8x (Nvidia nforce 2)
Mem - 512MB Corsair xls x 2
HD - 120 GB Maxtor ata133
CD - Lite on burner
CPU - AMD XP Barton 2800
VC - Nvidia Gforce3 ti 200 - 128MB DDR (AGP)

As of right now the system will not boot the knoppix cd after the kernel prompt. If i select failsafe as a cheat code then i can see the hardware verification and identification. It detects everything that failsafe is supposed to just fine (including the video card). It is only when the system attempts at graphical mode that the screen goes blank and never returns.

Any help at all would be very welcome. :)

Thank you very much!

scissors
07-11-2003, 02:33 AM
I have a Geforce3 Ti 200 64Mb and it works ok (although perhaps not fully).

kXconfig doesnt list a GeForce3 specific driver (that I can tell)

boot screen detects my card as "GeForce3 (rev1) using XFree86(nv) Server.

xKconfig shows Im using the Generic nv driver.

Not much help, but hopefully some...

Duffin444
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
That sounds good but for you it just seems like it is working right away. For me the video is not operational and I do not know where to go from here. Thank you for your help. Are there any more ideas or comments.......please :)

Stephen
07-11-2003, 05:18 PM
As of right now the system will not boot the knoppix cd after the kernel prompt. If i select failsafe as a cheat code then i can see the hardware verification and identification. It detects everything that failsafe is supposed to just fine (including the video card). It is only when the system attempts at graphical mode that the screen goes blank and never returns.

Any help at all would be very welcome. :)

Thank you very much!

Have you tried the cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) xmodule=nv noddc with the failsafe?

Duffin444
07-11-2003, 08:13 PM
I had not tried those commands as I had not seen them :(. I just tried them, however, and they failed to work. I have now tried just about every combination on the cheatcode list.......well, only the ones that made sense to me. :) I really appreciate your help and effort in my trials. I would very much like Debian on my machine but if needed I will resort to Red Hat. But I want my Knoppix!! :D

Please.....any more ideas or suggestions?

Duffin444
07-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Bump!

I was wondering if anybody had found a solution to my graphics card problem yet. I have resorted to using Windows for a whole week! :shock: Please help!

Viro
07-19-2003, 11:21 AM
I had a problem installing Knoppix with an a machine with a Gf4-ti4200. Finally, I managed to do it by forcing the boot process to run in text mode.

At the boot prompt, type knoppix-txt and everything should work fine after that. Don't ask me why. My guess is that immediately after the boot prompt, the installer switches to frame buffer mode, which somehow doesn't work on some cards.

pmpatrick
07-21-2003, 07:03 PM
I have a GeForce FX 5200 and had the same problem. After a lot of fiddling this worked for me: at the boot prompt type "knoppix xmodule=nv" w/o quotes, nothing else.