PDA

View Full Version : Some Kernel Questions/ request for clarification...

joekm
07-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Knoppix has gotten me back into Linux after a bit of a hiatus (wife, kids, job, etc.). Pretty easy install compared to the last time I did this and KDE is real impressive (I imagine Gnome would be just as good) as compared to the WM I used to use (FVWM2).

I've since installed the nVidia modules and got them working. Then downloaded and installed some appropriate "test" software (Quake III, Unreal Tournament). Works quite well.

Now, I'm trying to get my scanner and webcam to work. Modules for both need to be compiled against the kernel and it appears that I do not have the kernel source with the distribution. It also appears that the Knoppix kernel has a couple of minor mods (XFS patch and longer boot parameter line). So, it looks like I either need the kernel source from Knoppix or I should consider rolling back to a "pristine" Debian kernel (I'm using Reiser, so I don't really need the XFS patch).

Assuming I stay at the same release (2.4.20 I think), will I be able to build all my modules back in at compile time (such as nVidia)? or will I need to re-install all of them again? Also, anybody used the kernel configurator in KDE?, is it any good?

It's been a few years since I've done a kernel rebuild so I'm a bit rusty. However, I see that Debian appears to have some methods to streamline the process.

garyng
07-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Having your own kernel built is the only viable long term solution(if you want to use linux in a constant basis). This IMO is a design flaw of linux(well from an end user point of view, could be desirable for those who don't afraid to compile things).

If you are running a HD based KNOPPIX, there would not be any problem plugging in a complete different kernel but if you still use the CD based system(RO file system), you need to tweak something so the correct set of loadable modules are loaded(built together with your kernel) as mixing kernel and LKM is not a good idea(again, IMO a design flaw).