PDA

View Full Version : help with dsl on verizon.....

darktiger
07-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Ok, I am trying to connect to the internet via my verizon dsl connection. The NIC I'm using is a HP Ethernet 10/100. This is the info "Details" from my Verizon connection on Win XP dialog:

"Device Name: WAN miniport (PPPOE)
Device Type: PPPOE
Server type: PPP
Transports: TCP/IP
Authentication: PAP
Compression: None
PPP multlink framing: Off
Server IP Address: 10.19.1.1
Client IP Address: 64.222.102.xxx"

can someone help me connect to the internet? I'm currently launching knoppix from a burned cd i downloaded yesterday. I am using a WESTELL WIRESPEED Dual (supports USB + NIC). I have tried the auto dsl/pppoe on knoppix and it says i was connected but when i was trying to get the status of the connection it didn't show no ip address or anything the pings didn't get anything. trying to load any sites got nothing. can someone help me out?

xeerex
07-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Hmm---I'm using Verizon DSL at home with the same hardware. However, I bought a router and setup a LAN, which I would highly recommend anyone on broadband do. The router adds a layer of protection in addition to your software based firewall if you are running one under M$ software.

If nothing else I'll try playing with Knoppix and my PC hooked directly up to the DSL modem in a day or so and give you some feedback.

darktiger
07-12-2003, 02:37 AM
ok, thanks...

scissors
07-12-2003, 10:37 PM
I just got verizon a few weeks back as well, and just now am trying out linux (cuz I can actually download ISO's now :)
Anyway... have either of you tried it WITHOUT PPPoe? Im in Los Angeles area, and its not needed here. Set it up as DHCP and it works like a charm. (Thank you verizon!)

I ran straight through the modem the first day, to get it up and running.

Since then I've been running through a NetGear router I got at BestBuy for $19.99 (after rebate, CompUSA had same deal). It was going to cost me $12 just to get another net card to run MS Net sharing.

I highly reccomend the router. They are getting dirt cheap if you watch for them.

The first day that I was connected via DSL (modem only) I was getting regular inbound probes from the net showing up in ZoneAlarm. Since I've put the router on, NONE... Zilch, nada. The only inbound connections I see are when home windows machines boot up (looking for shares?). So its well worth the $20.

RE: getting it to work with Knoppix CD. I had to had configure my card (manually via script, since its old ISA), once I got that figured out, it was as simple as typing 'netcardconfig' and hitting enter, when it prompts you to use DHCP.

To see if your network card is actually getting detected, Figure out the IRQ / IO its configured to use in windows ( control panel:system:my computer:properties works for me) Then next time you boot to Knoppix open a Root shell (K menu:KNOPPIX:Root Shell) and enter the following:

procinfo -f

If you see your netcard and its IRQ showing up, the card is detected, just not loading right, from what I understand. Depending on your net card, you'll have to ask someone else here which module you need to load. Im using an NE2000 LinkSys 10Mbps card, so for me I use the following command:

modprobe ne io=0x300

where ne is short for ne.o (the NE2000 module), and the IO address... specified with preceding 0x. It sets the card up in a flash.

Then:

netcardconfig

It prompts 'Use DHCP?" or something similar, with YES as the default, so you just hit enter, and tada... verizon works.
Once you know the right module, its that easy.

If you want more info on how I set this up automated, via a Persistent home... ask.

Luck to ya,
Brad

darktiger
07-13-2003, 01:07 AM
thanks, i'll try that out.

xeerex
07-14-2003, 01:24 AM
Ok--I unhooked my router and just plugged straight into my NIC. It recognized the DHCP from Verizon with no problems at all.

Interestingly, although not related to Knoppix, I also use dynamic DNS to run a home websever. I have had the same IP address through Verizon for up to 18 days before. Of course, that may be due to the fact that very few people in my region have broadband.

darktiger
07-18-2003, 12:35 AM
i tried the above tips but all i get is the dsl modem blinking but can't seen to be able to ping or even load a page. can anyone help?

thejaunt
07-18-2003, 04:21 AM
I also am having trouble connecting to the internet when i boot knoppix ,funny thing is i sucsessfully connected once, and was able to telnet and all of the above but while i was in the "Kan" my idiot freind saw the os operating just fine and got scared of it's awsome capabilities and could not find kazaa in wich he proceded to reboot the system taking the knoppix disc out and starting xp back up again by the time i was out of the mess hole and was concious to what he had done i blamed myself for not writing down what i had done to connect and the next couple times i attempted to connect i failed misserably p.s thank you idiot freind oh and by the way my freinds nick name is caveman. suits him well might i add. :x

TommyHill
11-16-2003, 05:43 PM
Has anyone had any success in getting Verizon DSL working with Knoppix ? I also have Verizon DSL ( New York City location ) and tried Knoppix yesterday for the first time. This linux distribution is great.... I only wish I could get my DSL connection working.

I'm using a Westel WireSpeed DSL modem connected directly to a NetGear Model FA311 10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet Network Card provided by Verizon.

I used the DSL configuration tool... The program says I'm connected, but but nothing happens...

I am new to linux.... and a first time Knoppix user.... :)

Tommy

arkaine23
11-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Is the westell's ready light flashing or solid?

-VerizonESG DSL support tech for NE US area

DRJ
11-17-2003, 02:55 AM
I've had no problem with verizon in Dallas. My computer is behind a Netgear router though(I'm not sure if that makes a difference.)

TommyHill
11-17-2003, 05:36 AM
The Westell modem works fine with Windows XP... all the lights on the modem are steady (non flashing). So there is a DSL connection between the provider and the modem. This much works...

TommyHill
11-17-2003, 05:41 AM
I may do the same thing and purchase a Netgear router... Which model have you used successfully with Knoppix ?

TommyHill
11-17-2003, 05:43 AM
I don't think Knoppix recognized the network card.... eventhough it said it did. I don't see it listed with the other devices. At least I don't see an IRQ assigend to the device...

There is a linux driver available for the Netgear card. Do you think I should install it ?

TommyHill
11-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Have you been successful in getting your Verizon DSL connected with Knoppix ?

I noticed that I cannot open file /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

I receive a "permission denied message" I am at the root when I sign in... Maybe this is the reason we do not have a DSL connection. I looked for the "dsl-provider' file and it's not available.

Tommy

i tried the above tips but all i get is the dsl modem blinking but can't seen to be able to ping or even load a page. can anyone help?

arkaine23
11-27-2003, 11:14 PM
You'll be better off using a PPPoE capable router to do the negotiating with verizon's network.

You do know you're verizon userID and password right? That needs to be plugged into the PPPoE config thing off of the KDE start menu.

If your NIC is not working right try another. They're only $5-10.

TommyHill
11-28-2003, 06:01 PM
You'll be better off using a PPPoE capable router to do the negotiating with verizon's network.

You do know you're verizon userID and password right? That needs to be plugged into the PPPoE config thing off of the KDE start menu.

I will definately try different NIC cards and even purchase a router... I believe getting Knoppix to work with a Verizon DSL connection is well worth the effort. Thanks!!!

Do you work with Verizon technical support ?

TommyHill
11-28-2003, 06:58 PM

Is there any particular NIC card or router I should use ? I was going to purchase another NIC card from 3Com and was going to get a router from Netgear... but maybe another brand name would be better... not sure what's compatable with Knnopix...

Anyway... Thanks for your help!

Tommy

johnnydurden
11-30-2003, 08:58 PM
tommyhill, can u ping the westell, 192.168.1.254? if you can't have you reset the westell with the inset, white button on the back, that will reset to factory defaults and is sometimes neccessary if the westell and pc wont talk to each other, infact it should be the first thing you try if simply powercycling the westell and pc doesn't work.

you do not need a pppoe client with the westell as it is a router and has built in pppoe authentication like any other router, i have never seen a westell not work that way unless there was something wrong with the os or nic, which usually resulted in the download of a rfc 1483 pppoe client, like enternet 300, or we used winxp's built in pppoe client( which obviously cant be done in this case), but in either case you must reset the modem in order to get it to work, so if u were using or tring to use the internal oe client on the westell you must reset it to factory default before you can successfully get an external oe conn client working.

dark tiger, which one of your dsl modem lights are blinking? if it is the ready or dsl light, and you are sure there are no sources of emi or rfi, cordless phones, microwaves etc.. and your modem is plugged up properly, has been powercycled AND reset then u have a problem you can not fix, call your dsl provider so they can get dsg to check it out and see if there is a network issue dsg needs to fix or a line problem you need a phone technician out to fix. to check to see if it an inside wiring issue before calling your dsl provider you can hook your modem up at the nid on the side of ur house, if it gains sync u have an inside wiring issue, if you don't gain sync the problem is outside and should not have anything to do with your inside wiring, or you have a bad modem, if you have 2 or more dsl modems i suggest tring them as well if no synch on the primary modem both inside and out.

if that westell came from bellsouth make sure the vpi/vci match verizon's or it will not work, ever, unless you change them. are you bbg? if so you should also be able to make a pppoa connection as well.

if none of this is helpful, and no one here can help, you might wanna try http://www.broadbandreports.com/ someone there is sure to be able to help you if your problems do not lie with the knoppix os.