PDA

View Full Version : Using two different mice (one USB and one PS/2)...

joekm
07-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Simply put, my main mouse is a Logitech dual-optical USB mouse that works just fine in my HD install of Knoppix. However, what inspired me to install Knoppix/Debian in the first place what the ability to get gcompris and other educational games for my 2 1/2 year old son.

I just picked up a PS/2 mouse today that is designed for smaller hands. An ideal solution would be to pop that on the PS/2 port and have it be the default mouse that is active when I log into his account.

Failing that, having both mice available works too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

rickenbacherus
07-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Never tried to make a certain mouse set as default before but you can definitely have both mice connected and they will both work. You don't need to deactivate or unplug one or the other just use whichever one you like. I have a Logitech cordless USB abd a ps2 connected to this machine right now in fact. On and BTW- this wouldn't be possible on any other distro AFAIK unless you modified /etc/XF86Config-4 to look like the one that Knoppix creates with entries for both USB and ps2 mice. In fact, I use Knoppix to generate all of my XF86Config files for all distros becasue it does the most awesome job of it.

HTH

Dave_Bechtel
07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
--I love Knoppix's ability to do most things well, but SuSE's Livecd 8.2 generated the best XFree config file. (I couldn't do vmware fullscreen with best res until migrating suse's sax2-generated config file.)

Never tried to make a certain mouse set as default before but you can definitely have both mice connected and they will both work. You don't need to deactivate or unplug one or the other just use whichever one you like. I have a Logitech cordless USB abd a ps2 connected to this machine right now in fact. On and BTW- this wouldn't be possible on any other distro AFAIK unless you modified /etc/XF86Config-4 to look like the one that Knoppix creates with entries for both USB and ps2 mice. In fact, I use Knoppix to generate all of my XF86Config files for all distros becasue it does the most awesome job of it.

HTH

rickenbacherus
07-11-2003, 09:38 PM
--I love Knoppix's ability to do most things well, but SuSE's Livecd 8.2 generated the best XFree config file. (I couldn't do vmware fullscreen with best res until migrating suse's sax2-generated config file.)

I couldn't get the SuSE disc to finish booting on either of my machines. That was a real disappointment too- I've heard lots of good things about it.

joekm
07-14-2003, 05:49 PM

HTH

No luck so far, even using tried the Knoppix boot CD and seeing if I could make it work on my WindowsME installation. Might either be a bad mouse or bad PS/2 port, still troubleshooting....

joekm
07-15-2003, 01:59 PM
No luck so far, even using tried the Knoppix boot CD and seeing if I could make it work on my WindowsME installation. Might either be a bad mouse or bad PS/2 port, still troubleshooting....

Well, turns out it was the PS/2 port. However, it wasn't bad, I was just shut-off in the BIOS. Everything works OK now.