PDA

View Full Version : Can't make working iso with B's Recorder Gold & Sony CDR

socalgail
07-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Currently using Win 2K:oops:

Just getting started with Linux. I'd like to try Knoppix before I buy.
Heard Knoppix was great at detecting hardware. Seemed like an
easy way to see if I will have a big or a little job ahead.

Downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso. Looks like one big file
in NTFS. Burnt it onto CD anyway. Also one big file.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks....

Stephen
07-12-2003, 08:40 AM
You will have to use the option to create a bootable disc from an ISO image or create CD from ISO image whatever it is called in the program not just burn the file to the CD, there should be an option in your burning program's menus somewhere.

socalgail
07-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Apparently the app I am using, B's Recorder Gold, only makes a bootable floppy, not a bootable CD. I will dig deeper there. But I guess I'd rather pay for Knoppix than another windows application!

Thanks.

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 05:28 PM
I've never used the burning app of which you speak but you could go to Nero (http://nero.com/en/index.html#c1002822566925) click >Download>Demo - once you get Nero installed run it, close the wizard and click File>Burn image then browse to your Knoppix image and Burn.

socalgail
07-12-2003, 07:29 PM
OK - Life can be sweet. Thank you for the Nero info - not just the site but the directions you so kindly took the time to pass along. I am sending this from the Mozilla browser running Knoppix from the CD that I burned using Nero. ClearlyPC, motherboard, mouse, monitor, CD, and NIC are working! Also can see my 2 hard drives. Need to find out how to reach my Firewire drive.

My next step is to try to get this to run from a hard drive. I am starting this project to try to get a Software Radio running here.

It feels like Xmas morning - sorry to gush. I have to tear myself away since life intrudes.

with gratitude,
Gail in San Diego

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 08:19 PM
My next step is to try to get this to run from a hard drive. I am starting this project to try to get a Software Radio running here.

As root do this:

modprobe ohci1394

You may also need to do this:

modprobe raw1394

What kind of drive is it exactly?

Have a look at this installation how-to (http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html) which is more or less up to date. As with all things Linux there is always another way. All you really need to do is boot Knoppix, get everything working correctly and then open a terminal and do:

sudo knx-hdinstall and follow along. Yes- you can remain online while you install Knoppix- you gotta love Linux! :)

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Apparently the app I am using, B's Recorder Gold, only makes a bootable floppy, not a bootable CD.

They are alomost the same thing. A cd is only bootable becasue it has a bootable floppy image on it.

socalgail
07-12-2003, 09:52 PM

As root do this:

modprobe ohci1394

You may also need to do this:

modprobe raw1394

What kind of drive is it exactly?

Have a look at this installation how-to (http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html) which is more or less up to date. As with all things Linux there is always another way. All you really need to do is boot Knoppix, get everything working correctly and then open a terminal and do:

sudo knx-hdinstall and follow along. Yes- you can remain online while you install Knoppix- you gotta love Linux! :)

Interesting - the hdx-install could "see" the firewire drive - sda1, sda2
So I will look at the script... But my MB will not boot from firewire so I am
still going to install to a hard drive. I may try a different approach using Casper to just copy the CD image to a new partition, make boot floppy,
copy this to my C: drive, and add a line to the boot.ini. The only thing that
might be missing is the swap partition. I think I will move this thread to the HD-Install forum.

BTW, is that a nuclear device going off in your logo followed by much spillage of blood? Sorry if I am way off the mark!

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 10:57 PM
BTW, is that a nuclear device going off in your logo followed by much spillage of blood? Sorry if I am way off the mark!

Well sorta- actually tho it's just Billy up in Redmond. :shock:

Of course a certain well-known penguin could forseeably have something to do with that. :wink:

Qxi144
07-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Socialgail, B's Gold can so use ISO and burn cds, even making them bootable. You must make sure to drag the ISO file (not zip'd) into the panel on the far bottom right (usually in yellow). This tells B's Gold to use it instead of making a data cd. I have B's gold and sony cdrw and dvd+rw and have had no problems making bootable cds from ISO. The knoppix ISO I just made a few days ago works fine on my computer and laptop.

I hope this helps.

Please make sure if you switch to Nero to becareful and make sure it supports your cdr.

socalgail
07-13-2003, 02:00 AM
Socialgail, B's Gold can so use ISO and burn cds, even making them bootable. You must make sure to drag the ISO file (not zip'd) into the panel on the far bottom right (usually in yellow). ...

Please make sure if you switch to Nero to becareful and make sure it supports your cdr.

Thank you for pointing out how to use B's Recorder Gold. I am writing this from the Knoppix CD that I burned with BRG. Did not mean to impugn its capabilities but I found no directions like that in the manual. Surprisingly, their live, web-conferenced help forum also reported that this would not work! Just shows how knowledgeable the Knoppix community is!

Yes, Nero did work with my Sony CDRW but no need to buy it now ;-).

Thanks,
Gail

rickenbacherus
07-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Surprisingly, their live, web-conferenced help forum also reported that this would not work!

Too funny. I love these stories.

socalgail
07-13-2003, 02:42 AM
Surprisingly, their live, web-conferenced help forum also reported that this would not work!

Too funny. I love these stories.

LOL - and this after checking with the next higher tier of support. They even send an email with this erroneous info in it. I would reply but some of my email and IE favorite links have recently disappeared. Could be coincidence but wonder if it is related to Knoppix? Ever heard of anything like that? Anyway, I may just pass this along so the next Knoppix newbie with BRG won't have grief.

rickenbacherus
07-13-2003, 03:09 AM
I may just pass this along so the next Knoppix newbie with BRG won't have grief.

The best way to do that would be to add it here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading) if you're so inclined. The wiki is written by anyone and everyone who wants to contribute. That's how this site is acquiring such a nice colelction of documentation. :)

james33707
11-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Socialgail, B's Gold can so use ISO and burn cds, even making them bootable. You must make sure to drag the ISO file (not zip'd) into the panel on the far bottom right (usually in yellow). ...

Thank you for pointing out how to use B's Recorder Gold. I am writing this from the Knoppix CD that I burned with BRG. Did not mean to impugn its capabilities but I found no directions like that in the manual. Surprisingly, their live, web-conferenced help forum also reported that this would not work! Just shows how knowledgeable the Knoppix community is!

Yes, Nero did work with my Sony CDRW but no need to buy it now ;-).

Thanks,
Gail

Here is a free ISO Burner – Cheetah ISO Burner
Just scroll down to the bottom of the page
http://www.cheetahburner.com/

James