PDA

View Full Version : howto add users after hd install by copy from cdrom

gill1109
07-12-2003, 02:25 PM
I installed knoppix 3.2 (2003-06-06 EN) onto a free partition of my hard disk by following the FAQ instructions:

* run knoppix from the cdrom
* mount the partition
* copy the directory tree
* fix fstab and lilo (in my case, grub)
* create a user directory "knoppix"

It works, GREAT! Now I would like to create a couple more users, with passwords, and have root have a password too, with a normal login procedure at start up. Could someone please explain (at newbie level) how to do this?

I did manage to make knoppix into a nopasswd sudoer so I can log in to a terminal as root and from there do anything I like, of course. [I edited the /etc/sudoers file, having mounted my knoppix partition from another OS]

Or should I start all over, running knx-hdinstall? (which I didn't know existed till too late)

fingers99
07-12-2003, 02:34 PM
I'd be inclined to start over. It'll only take an hour or so at the most and it'll be much less hastle. :wink:

gill1109
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
YES! just less than one hour, you were right. THANKS!

Perhaps KK should add a mention of knx-hdinstall in the FAQ on the cdrom.

I only met one difficulty with knx-hdinstall - the passwords I typed for root and knoppix were accepted but when I started up for real, they were not recognised! The menu interface to knx-hdinstall is a bit sticky... Fortunately by now I have learnt how to use the cdrom as rescue disk:

sudo su - to become root
mount the knoppix hd partition
chroot to the mount point

and then use "passwd" to fix passwords of root and knoppix