PDA

View Full Version : Lilo errors.

hairston4
07-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Ooook. This is hard to explain. I had Red Hat 9 and Windows ME dual booting from GRUB. So I formatted all the Linux partitions from Windows (Partition Magic) and then booted to my CD and did a kpx-hdinstall

So when it was 'copying files' it had sooooo many errors, Input/Output errors....I don't know if that has to do with anything :roll:

Soooo....it eventually finished and I chose to install Lilo. It finishes up and I reboot...and I get an error.

Lilo- Keytable read/checksum error.

And then if just hangs there. Can someone please help me out? Danke.

EDIT: Knoppix's nice autmatic partition mounter shows the files are there in the partition, I just need to get the boot loader to work :roll:

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Here is a post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3310) about reinstalling LILO by booting with the Knoppix cd.

hairston4
07-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Here is a post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3310) about reinstalling LILO by booting with the Knoppix cd.

Thanks, but I tried it and *apparently* it will not work. I get the same error upon reboot. After I execute the last command I get....

root@Knoppix:/# sudo /sbin/lilo
sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
Added Windows(hda1)
root@Knoppix:/#

Hmmmm, does that mean that it did not work correctly?

rickenbacherus
07-12-2003, 08:51 PM
) and then booted to my CD and did a kpx-hdinstall

So when it was 'copying files' it had sooooo many errors, Input/Output errors....I don't know if that has to do with anything :roll:

Soooo....it eventually finished and I chose to install Lilo. It finishes up and I reboot...and I get an error.

Lilo- Keytable read/checksum error.

Since you had so many errors on install you might have a bad cd. Just because it boots doesn't necessarily mean anything. Boot it like so:

boot: knoppix testcd and see what it tells you. Also- check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded and verify it against the one on the download mirror. If both the cd check out as ok and the md5 is correct then I would try some different media.

Stephen
07-12-2003, 09:41 PM
root@Knoppix:/# sudo /sbin/lilo
sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
Added Windows(hda1)
root@Knoppix:/#

Hmmmm, does that mean that it did not work correctly?

That did install LILO but as rickenbacherus said with all the errors during install you most likely have a bad CD.