PDA

View Full Version : How does filesharing work?I

Edwin
07-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I am trying so set up a LAN with all Linux-boxes. Mounting a Windows-share works like a breeze, but with the devotion of a newly convert I like to keep it all Linux. Here is the setup so far: two machines, both running knoppix, network is up, both machines can ping each other, I have an account on both machines.

On box_1:
- "enable users to share folders from there home directory" is enabled.
- Start Konqueror.
- In my home-directory I right-click a folder, select "properies" and in the tab sharing I enable sharing. Then I click OK.
- I right-click again, and sharing is still _disabled_ (and yes it is the same folder).
- Several repeats with the same result; clicking "cancel" doesn't work either.

So, this option has an attitude or I am doing something wrong?.

But, on box_2:
- Start Konqueror.
- Type "lan:/192.168.0.1" <enter>
- The location-bar changes to "lan://localhost/192.168.0.1 and I see two folders: "FISH" and "SMB".
- Clicking "SMB" produces an error.
- Clicking "FISH" prompts my for my name and password.
- The location-bar changes to "FISH://192.168.0.1/home/edwin

And then I get to see my entire home-directory on box_1, hidden files and dirs included. In fact I can see every directory on that machine, and it seems that I have all the permissions of my account on that box.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? I must be missing something here, but what I want is for every user on the LAN to have only one folder to show on box_1. They can can put their files there and daddy will take care of the backup, just because no one else will :=(

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

- - Edwin

scissors
07-13-2003, 01:50 AM
Check either the 'docs' link up top, or the FAQ link. There is one of them there about setting up Samba sharing. (windows friendly) Its all command line stuff... and I there were a few things that, atleast for me, I had to do a hair differently. But... the nice thing (Im hoping) about it being command line... is it can all be done via a script. If you cant get it working, post back and I'll post the exact commands I did to get it working. I wrote them down somewhere.

I can't vouch this is the smartest way to do it, but it is in the FAQ's *shrug*.

Brad

Now... if I could just figure out how to add a printer and share it... hehehe

Edwin
07-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Check either the 'docs' link up top, or the FAQ link. There is one of them there about setting up Samba sharing. (windows friendly)

I did check the FAQ and the DOC's before posting. Could not find an answer, though. But I am not interessed in Samba sharing. I can do that, and don't even need a command-line for it. I use LinNeighborhood... works great.

I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I want to have a Linux-machine on the LAN act as a file-server. And I don't want to see users to see the whole directory-tree, but only their folder.

I can't vouch this is the smartest way to do it, but it is in the FAQ's *shrug*.

Could you provide a URL to that FAQ please?

Regards,

- - Edwin

scissors
07-13-2003, 06:15 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

Edwin
07-13-2003, 01:53 PM

Thank you. But I have read that. I even read the German version to see if that made more sense. It is not what I am looking for. On the second line it states: "CAUTION: The complete filesystem of Knoppix will be shared". The German version adds to that: "Das ist also nur für eine Rettung geeignet, da jeder im Netzwerk auf die Dateien Zugriff hat". Please see my original post. I have already managed to share my entire filesystem (without any shell-commands). But what I want is to share only certain directories. Sort of like how sharing in Windows or MacOS works.

Now I could be missing something here, but as far as I know Samba stands for "Server Message Block" also known as NetBIOS; it is used to share files between Linux and Windows systems. That is what I conclude from the man-pages _and_ from the above mentioned FAQ anyway.

But if it can be used for my purposes I guess I will need more directions.

Regards,

- - Edwin

scissors
07-14-2003, 08:01 AM

On the second line it states: "CAUTION: The complete filesystem of Knoppix will be shared". The German version adds to that: "Das ist also nur für eine Rettung geeignet, da jeder im Netzwerk auf die Dateien Zugriff hat".
- - Edwin

I would think you can just alter the following lines :

[root]
path = /
public = yes

To something applicable to what you want, similar to:

[knoppix]
path = /home/knoppix

-----------

One additional note, something I came across in a search of the groups yesterday. (Quoting my notes)

To start samba with default knoppix home dir shared:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
smbpasswd -a knoppix

So do this for each user. Im guessing that you would only need to add the passwords once? Perhaps after entering these commands you could check to see if they were written into /etc/samba/smbpasswd.