PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Kernel Size

skyshadow
07-13-2003, 02:39 AM
I found something strange. My Knoppix 3.2's /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs is 925720 bytes. However, when I compile a plain 2.4.20 with Knoppix' /usr/src/linux/.config, I can't get an image smaller than 2645504 bytes. Thats using a make oldconfig (selecting no to the 2 new options), make clean, make bzImage with gcc-2.95 on a system that was distupgraded a few days ago.

I would love to know how Knoppix gets all its stuff in such a small kernel since lilo always complains that mine are too big.

biehl
07-13-2003, 09:24 AM
uh - maybe this is a simple question. I just dont know the answer. If you think it's a good question you can maybe ask here

http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix

Klaus Knopper seems to answer questions here himself. Or if it is actually an unmodified debian-kernel (and it is, isn't it?) maybe another debian-list is relevant...

DaRacerz
07-13-2003, 04:49 PM
I just recently compiled a vanilla 2.4.20 Kernel with an XFS Patch using the configuration provided by Klaus and I was very close to the same file size of the origanol vmlinuz file. Though, heres the procedure I did/

Assuming your vanilla kernel is in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 and you are currently in that directory

cp ../linux-2.4.20-xfs/.config ./
make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

and then you can do what ever you want with the new vmlinuz file. For me, ended up being about 20k more, so you should get similar results with that procedure.

Dave_Bechtel
07-14-2003, 03:14 AM
--This is the part you need to pay attention to:
' cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 '

--Somehow I think you're trying to copy the /usr/src/linux/vmlinux file instead...

I found something strange. My Knoppix 3.2's /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs is 925720 bytes. However, when I compile a plain 2.4.20 with Knoppix' /usr/src/linux/.config, I can't get an image smaller than 2645504 bytes. Thats using a make oldconfig (selecting no to the 2 new options), make clean, make bzImage with gcc-2.95 on a system that was distupgraded a few days ago.

I would love to know how Knoppix gets all its stuff in such a small kernel since lilo always complains that mine are too big.