PDA

View Full Version : KDE mystery

mack
07-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I'm posting this topic in the general forum although its something that happened to me during customization/remastering, because the problem no longer seems related to remastering but directly to KDE. Its a really frustrating :x problem and I hope someone with KDE knowledge could shed some light on it. :idea:

After my latest remastering, the default knoppix kde setup disappeared. I get the knoppix wallpaper and the knoppix splash window, but during initialization, in the "loading panel" phase, the root window goes picture-less, and the icons and toolbar seem to be the default KDE ones instead of the knoppix ones. Its as if the knoppix user has no .kde (although it does - the one form /etc/skel).

So far, you'd think "sure, you changed something in /etc/skel or /usr/share/knoppix/profile!" Well, I haven't. The customization just added some programs which are not KDE-related in any way.

In fact, I hashed all the files in the system, once during a session with the version working properly and once with the version which has broken kde environment. I diff the two lists to see which files changed. Strangely, no kde files changed in /KNOPPIX. In fact, nothing but the files I added seem to be different, and these files have nothing to do with KDE.

/KNOPPIX/etc/skel remains identical, and yet, once KDE is initialized, /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde suddenly contains a lot of new files, apparently created by KDE during initialization. The whole environment seems to reset to default during the part where KDE says "loading panel".

I don't understand where it gets this different panel since the files are the same. Anyone knows where the "loading panel" phase takes files from ? Isn't it the ~knoppix/.kde which came from /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/.kde ?!
:roll: