PDA

View Full Version : newbie: Where is window manager started, and how to change?

Criamon
07-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Hi there,

I have successfully installed knoppix to hdd. But now I want to create a user that is logged in automatically, but doesn't use any window manager.

How can I do this?

I have a mini-itx that should run without keyboard and mouse. So where can I find the login-sripts, that starts the kde or checks for the keyboard?

And another question: where is a good place to start processes that have to be started while booting? (I need to start lirc)

Thanks, Heiko

DaRacerz
07-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Not sure if this all that you are looking for, but take a look at the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and xsession scripts. It is well documented as to what each section does

In there Keyboard is configured, and there will be part of a line that says something like DESKTOP="KDE". If you want nothing to load as a window manger, then do DESKTOP="". If you don't want the XServer to start period, then change the init version from 5 to 4 or 3. I forget which one is the correct number. Hope this helps ya out!!!

Mark

Dave_Bechtel
07-14-2003, 03:42 AM
--Pardon me, but I don't find anyplace in /etc/rc5.d where /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is run...

--Anyhow, /etc/inittab gets run first. Then it runs /etc/init.d/rcS, which runs the S99* links in whatever the default runlevel is (/etc/rc5.d for knoppix.)

--I haven't tried this myself, but there is an entry in inittab that looks like this:
' 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5 '

--Now instead of running /sbin/getty, you might try running something like this:

9:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 9 -w -- /usr/bin/top -s
12:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 12 -w -- su -c "tail /var/log/messages -f --lines 50

--See ' man open ' for more details. You might try ' 8:5:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 8 -w -s -l -- su USERNAME ' to start the user up on console 8 and switch to it. (BTW I just tested this in vmware, and it works.)

--AFA starting a different windowmanager than KDE, I'd like to know myself. I just boot without kdm or any graphical interface, and use xinit.

alias sf='xinit /usr/bin/sawfish & ~/.xinitrc & '

Not sure if this all that you are looking for, but take a look at the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and xsession scripts. It is well documented as to what each section does

In there Keyboard is configured, and there will be part of a line that says something like DESKTOP="KDE". If you want nothing to load as a window manger, then do DESKTOP="". If you don't want the XServer to start period, then change the init version from 5 to 4 or 3. I forget which one is the correct number. Hope this helps ya out!!!

Mark