PDA

View Full Version : How long does this take??

georgetoon
07-15-2003, 03:17 AM
I have the Knoppix disk in a 400 MHz AMD K62 system with 256 megs of Ram and about an 8 meg AGP video card. Anyhow, it boots...the big screen comes on with the Knoppix logo and then it appears to load. Then the screen goes blank except of a penguin in the upper left corner. Then, after a few minutes, it starts to read my system hardware. It reads and appears to find all my hardware, then the screen goes black. I'm still waiting for it to kick-in with something. How long does this take to see the OS on screen?

fingers99
07-15-2003, 03:44 AM
Hard to say: on my XP2000 system, same amount of RAM, about 2 minutes (and there's always something on screen to look at).

I suspect that something may be going wrong. Can you check your disk and also try checking it in another machine?

garyng
07-15-2003, 03:48 AM
what is the last message you can see before it went blank ? my guess is it tried to probe your monitor and boom.

Stephen
07-15-2003, 04:26 AM
I have the Knoppix disk in a 400 MHz AMD K62 system with 256 megs of Ram and about an 8 meg AGP video card. Anyhow, it boots...the big screen comes on with the Knoppix logo and then it appears to load. Then the screen goes blank except of a penguin in the upper left corner. Then, after a few minutes, it starts to read my system hardware. It reads and appears to find all my hardware, then the screen goes black. I'm still waiting for it to kick-in with something. How long does this take to see the OS on screen?

Use the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) knoppix noddc at the boot: prompt and see if that helps you may want to use the cheat code for your video card maker ( xmodule=?? ) also.

georgetoon
07-15-2003, 04:44 AM
The last message I receive is, "Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab..."

Then after awhile of watching the blinking cursor at the end of that sentence, the screen goes blank.

I typed in the cheat code knoppix noddc and this time around it's reporting I have an old monitor with three resolutions listed instead of four. Without the cheat code it reports my monitor brand and gives four resolutions.

Okay...screen went blank again, just as before.

I'm done for the night.

georgetoon
07-15-2003, 07:03 PM
I decided to take the plunge and try Knoppix on my 1 GHz Athlon system. After working with the bios on the 400MHz system, I felt comfortable to go ahead with tis. Knopix was up and running in a couple of minutes! Wow! this disk is amazing! I can see all my wondows files!!!:) This is great!:) Time to explore some more!:)

thanks to all for your help. i have an additional question...I'll start a new thread for that.:)