PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.2 on Mac OSX under emulation

rduncan1
07-15-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure if anyone will find this all too interesting, but Knoppix 3.2 runs on a Powerbook G4 550MHz with 1024MB RAM running Virtual PC 6. The clock speed reported on the boot screen is 385MHz, which is ~70% of the G4's actual clock; I'm not sure if this is a percentage base or a standard speed that VPC6 assigns. The performance is wickedly sluggish, and Konqueror crashes frequently; I'm guessing it's because of the slow CD-ROM and the emulation factor.

Still, the fact that it runs is pretty cool (at least for Mac fans) and I'll post the progress I make with it on the Tibook, and also on a 800MHz eMac and a 667MHz Powerbook G4 with a native CD-ROM and a Firewire drive.

In case anyone wonders why I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Mac with VPC6: Why not? If anybody has any ideas on how to speed up Knoppix (besides knoppix 2 at boot), please send them along.

rduncan1
07-15-2003, 06:05 AM
As an aside, I've also tested Knoppix STD 0.1b with Virtual PC 6 and got a boot failure; even tried to capture the iso (from CD and via network). Any ideas?

punkrawkhighrllr
05-12-2004, 12:09 AM
For some reason whenever X11 starts the video mode goes from 24bit *flash* 16bit *flash* 256 *flash* and continues only in 8bit colors. Is there a way to manually set color settings in Knoppix?