PDA

View Full Version : USB mouse won't work on HD install

bongski55
07-15-2003, 07:26 AM
I have a A4Tech usb mouse that woks fine on the live cd. The problem is that when I installed knoppix it is no longer working. Cursor just stays stcuk in the middle of the screen.

Please help.
thanks!

joekm
07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Bring up a terminal window (I think "cntrl-alt-t" will do it, if not, it's something similar to that like "cntrl-t" or "alt-t"). One you are in a terminal window try this command:

"modprobe usbmouse"

see if that doesn't get the mouse to work. Failing that, search the discussion areas on the Morphix website. I believe they discuss this problem in more detail.

If the above command does work, it means that the module isn't loaded. Going to have to reseach a little on what you do from there since I'm away from my references right now. However, you could boot with the CD again and print out its auto-generated XF86Config-4 file (located in /etc/X11). You can then compare this to what you have on the HD install. Also, try this command"

"apropos module"

With any luck, that should bring up a list of commands approprite to the word "module". You can then use the man pages to get more information.

It's possible your going to need to modify some module config files. Basically, you would modify your /etc/modules/aliases file then use the command "update-modules" to update your /etc/modules.conf file to include the usb mouse.

A final note - it's not a good idea to edit your /etc/modules.conf file directly. Make your edits to /etc/modules/aliases and use "update modules" instead.

Hope this helps,

Joe

bongski55
07-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Dear Joe,
I have finally made it work by just coppying the live cd xf86config-4.

Thanks.