PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Windows program files

j.drake
07-15-2003, 03:49 PM
How do I get to my Windows "Program Files" folder? I wanted to try to see if some of these programs would run under Wine.

Of primary importance to me is my NetZero dialup account. I can't get onto the internet without it. NetZero uses its own proprietary dialer. I'm anxious to try out Mozilla under Knoppix, but can't get anywhere without internet access. NetZero does not have a Linux version. They do have a Mac OSX version - would that work (since OSX is based on BSD)?

punk000
07-15-2003, 05:30 PM
knoppix should have mnade a hard drive shorcut.... in there you jsut navigate as you would had you opend your "drive c" in "my computer"

j.drake
07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I have an hda1 and an hdb1 on my knoppix desktop (I have two physical hard drives). But it appears that many of the folders within them are suppressed or hidden. Correlatively, there appear to be folders that Knoppix shows to exist, but which do not show up in Windows XP (e.g., a Linux folder). Thus, when I'm in Knoppix, there is neither a Program Files folder nor a Documents and Settings folder. So, I can't get to my defined Windows user desktop to try the shortcuts there, nor to my Start menu, nor to the executables in the Program Files folders themselves.

Like I said, it's primarily a problem for the NetZero dialer. I guess it stands to reason that if I'm too cheap to pay for an OS that I'm too cheap to pay an ISP either. :D

BTW, I booted Knoppix at work and found the folders (Programs Files and Documents and Settings/username/desktop) on my work computer, but I could not find the program files or shortcuts within.

:idea: OK, I found part of the problem. My computer is an HP Pavilion with WinXP. It was set at the factory to have a FAT32 recovery partition (D) in the primary drive. The main partition of my primary drive (C) is in NTFS. My second physical HDD is drive G: (E: and F: are CD drives). Both C: and G: are formatted in NTFS, while D: (the recovery partition) is formatted in FAT32. Apparently, Knoppix is seeing D: (the FAT32 drive) as hda1, and G: as hda2. It isnt seeing the NTFS portion of my first drive, which is where the missing folders are stored. Am I on the right track? Any ideas? wisdom? :?: