PDA

View Full Version : Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

biohazard
07-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi all... I resently installed knoppix 3.2 on my copmuter the install went smooth an everything but when I rebooted the machine the boot halted on this message Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:02.
I installed the LILO bootloader and partitioned the disk in 2 partitions... one 600 MB Linux Swap and one 20000 Mb Linux partition with the boot flag..... im new to linux so pleas have your answears accurate.... thx

Rgosen
09-11-2003, 08:44 PM
When I installed Knoppix on hd I let the script maka a boot disk at the end.
This will boot knoppix from the floppy drive.

Maybe this will help

fef
12-26-2003, 02:55 AM
i've got the same problem here.. "FAT: bogus logical sector size 0" just after loading xfs module.

i think this bogus message is that the FAT table of the harddrive is not available nor readable.
does anybody have a clue why? due to vfs maybe?

booting up the cd without switches and trying to mount a partition
(mount -t xfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2) gives the same bogus error message.
or doing a "cfdisk /dev/hda" gives a slithly different message too..

turn lilo.conf "lba32" on and off is without any difference for both, it doesn't care.

rescue/boot floppy doesn't work either, it's a copy of boot-files out of the /boot directory and result in the same bogus error message.
the floppy is more valuable if "LI99 99 99 99 99 99 etc.." occur.
this problem is not a lilo boot problem for using a bootfloppy.

there is something wrong with vfs, but don't know what, so if somebody have a clue, pls let me know why and how to solve this problem.

i still managed to get this knx3.3 hdinstall running but it's not an elegant one.
hopefully someone has a blinking idea out of this problem, pls let me know and tnx in advance!

i've got this installed "knx-hdinstall" running with the same knx3.3 bootable cd by booting up in text mode (quickest than with a GUI) and with dma switch on as following:

"knoppix dma 2"

(bytheway the knx-hdinstall was only possible with this "dma" switch turned on)

after the runlevel 2 prompt i'm able to mount the partitions of the harddrive hda1 and hda2, hda3 (swap) has already been mounted during the impressive and famous knoppix boot script. i did the following to do this:

"mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2" (mounting the root, xfs fs automatic recognized)
"mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda2/boot" (my /boot is separate on /dev/hda1 and mounted into the root on /mnt/hda2, ext3 fs automatic recognized too)
"mount -t proc /proc /mnt/hda2/proc" (mounting the cd /proc into the installed hd /root)
"chroot /mnt/hda2" (actualy now entering the installed knx-hdinstall on the harddrive a)
"startx" (for starting up kde GUI)

it's working, but.. would be better booting without the cd, the user files are dumped on the chroot root (better start "kdm" and login to avoid this), and i discovered that there is NO authentication, i get access as ROOT (with "startx").
hmm.. did i discovered another problem here (?)

this "dma" knoppix switch is probably a "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" or a "hdparm -d1 -X udma2 /dev/hda" which doing the same thing to get a readable FAT table of the harddrive.

what i think it should do is to have a readable FAT table available first after loading modules which depend on this being available.

question: does anybody know what virtual file system vfs is? i think the problem starts here..

keep up the distro 8)