PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on Mac

Stephen
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Hi,

I did some hacking during LinuxTag and made an initial prototype for Knoppix
on Macs. (no cloop yet, though, so don't expect wonders)

It has some problems but should be bootable and find most hardware, although
it has not modelines for all things. So X can make problems.

My problem is, that I don't have a mac and had to work with the powerbook
someone had, but it did work on his and on other macs on the LinuxTag booth.

it has only some base software installed (e.g. no kde and is only for testing
purposes, so no production quality)

It was more a proof-of-concept, than a whole distribution ... (but there will
possibly other guys working on it)

Heh, what do you expect in 3-4 days+nights ?

One Mirror is online, please test as I had some problems with md5-sums and
reading the CD-image :-(. (and with no mac, I can't test it myself)

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/powerPC/

Thanx!

cu

Fabian

Just like the topic says Knoppix for a Mac a work in progress that needs some testing so anyone who has a Mac may want to give it a try and provide some feedback to the developers.

rickenbacherus
07-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Where did you find this info Stephen? I have a Mac but it's an old world. I wonder if it will boot or not. They're really a PITA. Of course I can always just dl it and find out right?! I'd love to see this come together then I won't have to deal with this ridiculous rpm based distro nonsense!

Stephen
07-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Where did you find this info Stephen? I have a Mac but it's an old world. I wonder if it will boot or not. They're really a PITA. Of course I can always just dl it and find out right?! I'd love to see this come together then I won't have to deal with this ridiculous rpm based distro nonsense!

It was a post by Fabian to the developers list I've a couple of other people posting there wanting a Mac version I guess that must have the ideas going at the conference.

Rono64
07-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Hello
I have a Mac set up just for testing Knoppix on, I already have one version of Knoppix for the PPC, I am more than willing to run any tests or try any ideas you have.
I will try to get a download by tomorrow.

rickenbacherus
07-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Hello
I have a Mac set up just for testing Knoppix on, I already have one version of Knoppix for the PPC,

Am I to understand that you have a version of Knoppix for ppc other than the one Stephen just posted a link to?

fleny68
07-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Hello,

There is a working early alpha version of knoppix PPC. It's a port of the knoppix-MiB version.

There is cloop, loop-aes, XFree4.3, OOo...

Could you send me a mail (fleny68 at free.fr), we could work together to obtain something better.

The Knoppix MiB page (the ppc iso is in the mirrors):
http://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/doc-html/knoppix-mib.html

Rono64
07-17-2003, 12:25 PM
The Knoppix MIB ppc is really good considering it's in alpha stage.
I have run it on a 233 iMac and a G4 cube.
All the hardware and peripherals are recognized, and I was most impressed at the sped and peripheral recognition on the G4, I have lots of firewire drives and burners connected to the cube.
If either person needs hardware testing done for their ppc builds, I will gladly volunteer my time and equipment.

podious
07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
If this Knoppix MIB works even halfway decent on PPC then shouldn't it be posted on the Knoppix Customizations page? How does one go about suggesting that?

I definitely plan on downloading and trying the MIB version out on my iMac today.

I might try out this hacked, no cloop, version too if people give it good reviews.

rickenbacherus
07-17-2003, 05:30 PM
If this Knoppix MIB works even halfway decent on PPC then shouldn't it be posted on the Knoppix Customizations page? How does one go about suggesting that?

All of the documentation on this site has been created by Knoppix users. The wiki is open to anyone and everyone- just like Linux :)

Feel free to add to it as you like. There is even a practice page where you can learn how to format pages on the wiki (http://www.knoppix.net/docs//). (All the way at the bottom).

rduncan1
07-19-2003, 07:30 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3626

This is the original post, about Knoppix running on VPC6 under OSX; it's slow and nasty, but I imagine it would be easy to make a Debian port to Mac OSX. I don't remember the site, but there was a very popular howto on running Debian on an iBook. Maybe you could google it and come up with some better results? Keep me posted on your progress. ^_^

gill1109
07-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Since I love mac's and linux, but never yet ran linux from my ibook, I burnt two iso's mentioned in this thread,

knoppix-MiB-PPC-alpha-2e.iso
knx-pcc-2003-07-13_4.iso

and tried to boot my iBook from them. But they were not recognisable and nothing happened, unlike with

gentoo-ppc-1.4_rc7-kde-020603.iso

[which on the other hand does not provide you with a live kde desktop; it's just made for installing the real thing - which i can't do since I don't know how to nondestructively repartition the single mac partition on my ibook]

I would love to try these out - why: because it's there, or should be. [I have this ambition to give a conference power point type presentation on my iBook but starting from a live linux environment, just to show the world it can be done.]

I burnt the cd's in a standard sort of way using xcdroast on an ordinary linux machine. Should I have done something special to make them bootable?

fleny68
07-20-2003, 06:20 PM
I don't know if xcdroast can burn such iso. K3b can't burn bootable hybrid mac iso, there is a bug.

I suggest you to use gcombust, and before to check md5sum and gpg sign.

On the ibook the knoppix-Mib run with "knoppix xserver=fbdev" at boot. The knx-ppc should run the same.

gill1109
07-20-2003, 09:19 PM
I don't know if xcdroast can burn such iso. K3b can't burn bootable hybrid mac iso, there is a bug.

I suggest you to use gcombust, and before to check md5sum and gpg sign.

On the ibook the knoppix-Mib run with "knoppix xserver=fbdev" at boot. The knx-ppc should run the same.

Thanks! I tried buring the isos on the iBook, using Roxio Toast, and they work!

Thanks also for the xserver=fbdev tip. This is very important!

rickenbacherus
07-21-2003, 01:54 AM

I won't dispute the existence of a bug but it seems rather unlikely since both applications are merely frontends for the same program- cdrecord. An .iso is an .iso. Burning an .iso for mac is the same as for pc. It is the file structure that differs and there are different tools for creating these file structures.

mkisofs can make both types.

see man mkhybrid for more on HFS

To burn an .iso in Linux simply do this:

cdrecord -scanbus

That will get you all of the drives on the SCSI BUS. Remember: in Linux if SCSI emulation is on your IDE cdroms will be on the SCSI BUS. Then just use the correct drive and speed in the following:

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 Knoppix3.2.iso

That's it.

There are some great tools for HSF

apt-get install hfsplus hfsutils hfsutils-tcltk

Then you can work with HFS from Linux with a GUI.

xhfs

fleny68
07-21-2003, 11:42 AM
I confirm. K3b suppress the apple partiition table when it burn the iso. With the same iso, gcombust works correctly.

casterman
07-29-2003, 03:37 AM
i tried the knoppix ppc version on my Power Mac G4733Mhz the screen is a flat screen20" . i got the lilo like prompt on which i could type knoppix or knoppix-txt . i tried both but none worked. i am not sure what happened X or something else I never got the hand back and after couple of messages the screen got all scrambled.
if you need me for more testing please let me know .Thanks.
Kemal
asad@club-internet.fr.

gill1109
07-29-2003, 07:19 AM
i tried the knoppix ppc version on my Power Mac G4733Mhz the screen is a flat screen20" . i got the lilo like prompt on which i could type knoppix or knoppix-txt . i tried both but none worked. i am not sure what happened X or something else I never got the hand back and after couple of messages the screen got all scrambled.
On an iBook I had to do knoppix xserver=fbdev. Don't know what this means but it worked... Now I'm trying to do a data-projector or beamer show using the iBook's video-out port. I was recommended by Yves Combe who does the ppc port of knopppix-mib to try adding "video=aty128fb:crt:1,lcd:0" at boot, with maybe screen="1024x768" or something like that. Well, the data projector recognised that there was something coming from the computer but it only projected a blank screen. Still, progress is being made. And knoppix-mib-ppc is really great!

aay
07-29-2003, 08:47 PM
I don't have any apple machines so this is purely a theoretical question, but will the installer work on macs?

gill1109
07-30-2003, 06:20 AM
I don't have any apple machines so this is purely a theoretical question, but will the installer work on macs?
That's a good question. My guess is you might have to do your
disk partitioning in advance with other tools... I hope some day people will add hfs and hfs+ support for all the operations which parted can do, so we can nondestructively repartition mac hard drives. It seems impossible at the moment.

gill1109
07-30-2003, 07:53 AM
but will the installer work on macs?
I just checked - there is no knx-hdinstall in knoppix-mib-ppc alpha 2e

aay
07-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Since Fabian Franz has done work on a Mac edition and has also authored the new installer, perhaps we will see a install for Mac sometime in the future.

Rono64
07-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I can say for sure at this time there is no easy way to istall the Knoppix Mib ppc onto the hard drive, I have tried for close to a month.
I saw a post on a manual install, but I have not found it again and wonder if it is possible, and this is with a linux partitioned drive in the imac.
But I will keep trying

JoDaY
08-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi !

I've burned knoppix MiB ppc alpha2e with k3b and the cd works properly (It boot on an I book)...

:roll:

fleny68
08-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Wich version of k3b? I tried with 0.8.3 without success.
I will try the 0.9.2 soon.

JoDaY
08-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Re !

K3b v 0.8.1

Don't forget that k3b is just a frontend: it depends of cdrdao, cdrcord, mkisofs... :wink:

fleny68
08-06-2003, 07:54 AM
You are right
But gcombust is a frontend too, and where k3b failed to burn my iso, gcombust do.

Did you pass something (options) special to k3b?

fleny68
08-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Did you use a k3b on a PC or on a Mac?
I have some big problems with k3b 0.9.2 on my pmac.

rickenbacherus
08-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Try this (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2107#9965) out to get k3b working.

JoDaY
08-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Re !

I usually use K3B from knoppix 3.1 and 3.2 (06/06/2003) with no parameters and no config...

Wich version of knoppix do you use ?

It seems that some users have problem with K3B with newer version of knoppix than 06/06/2003 (seen at forum of www.knoppixfr.org)

I just be able to tell you different version of my different program:

In options menu of K3B Programs:
/usr/bin/cdrdao 1.1.7 overburn, multisession, suidroot
/usr/bin/cdrecord 2.01a14 gracetime, overburn, cdtext, suidroot
/usr/bin/mkisofs 2.01a12 udf, dvd-video, joliet-long

rickenbacherus
08-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Well actually I don't use k3b or xcdroast or any of the other gui's. cdrecord from the CLI is much faster than any gui ever thought about being and you don't need to configure anything either. ;)

I checked out your link but as I don't speak a bit of French it doesn't mean alot to me. sorry...

JoDaY
08-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Re !

no matter about speaking french because there is no response for it at this time... :wink:

PS: I'm very sorry but i have not seen that your topics was about Knoppix on mac... :oops:

krishna
08-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Try lowering the resolution - some projectors (mostly older ones) don't support higher than 640x480. Something like knoppix xserver=fbdev screen="640x480" might do.

-Krishna

On an iBook I had to do knoppix xserver=fbdev. Don't know what this means but it worked... Now I'm trying to do a data-projector or beamer show using the iBook's video-out port. I was recommended by Yves Combe who does the ppc port of knopppix-mib to try adding "video=aty128fb:crt:1,lcd:0" at boot, with maybe screen="1024x768" or something like that. Well, the data projector recognised that there was something coming from the computer but it only projected a blank screen. Still, progress is being made. And knoppix-mib-ppc is really great! :(

fmurray
08-14-2003, 02:22 AM
Hello,

is it possible to burn the .iso with toast? I try it but my cd don't seem to be bootable. And how can I start from the cd (press C at startup like the mac way?). Please help a newbie. :-)

Thank you.

fmurray

cselkirk
08-14-2003, 04:26 PM
is it possible to burn the .iso with toast? I try it but my cd don't seem to be bootable. And how can I start from the cd (press C at startup like the mac way?).

You will only be able to boot the cd ("c") on a NewWorld machine. If your machine is OldWorld then you would need to set up BootX (http://ftp.penguinppc.org/projects/BootX) to boot from your MacOS partition into the Knoppix CD env.

Install the BootX extention, control panel, and create a folder titled "Linux Kernels" in the System Folder.

Copy the kernel from the CD into /System Folder/Linux Kernels/ (on the MiB CD the kenel is named "linux.bin"). Open the BootX control pannel, select "options", select "use initrd image", navigate to the CD/boot and select "root.bin.gz" (again, i'm using the naming convention from Knoppix-MiB alpha, it may be different on the Linuxtag ppc CD).

In the "initrd size" dialog add "10240" (this is the MiB initrd size, a size of 11000 should cover most initrd).

In the kernel args dialog add, "init=/etc/init rw lang=YOUR_PREFERD_LANG BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix" plus other cheatcodes as required. You can look at the yaboot.conf in CD/boot, the "append" section is what gets passed to the kernel as args.

You may need to add "video=ofonly" or "video=fbdev" or select the "No Video" button (in BootX) dependent on yor video card.

Now hit tab, the highlighted window should be "MacOS", now save the configuration to your preferences (the initd size is never saved btw, and so you will need to re-enter the size on reboot).

Selecting the "Linux" button should boot you into the knoppix CD env.

I have had some quite some success booting other LiveCD's on OldWorld machines (8500, 4400, Powerbook Wallstreet II) with this method, but have yet to try with either of the knoppix (ppc) CD's (all the OldWorld machines I have access to are at work and I am presently on summer break).

cselkirk
08-15-2003, 01:53 PM
I have a Mac but it's an old world. I wonder if it will boot or not. They're really a PITA. Of course I can always just dl it and find out right?!

OldWorld machines will not be able to boot directly from the CD's, at least by the usual methods. See my post above in this regard.

I'd love to see this come together then I won't have to deal with this ridiculous rpm based distro nonsense!

Huh? There are numerious non-rpm based PowerPC distributions .. Debian (http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/), Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/ppc/), Rock Linux (http://www.rocklinux.net/people/rene/powerpc/), Slackintosh (http://slackintosh.exploits.org/), amoungst others.

cselkirk
08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
On an iBook I had to do knoppix xserver=fbdev. Don't know what this means but it worked...

By adding "xserver=fbdev" you are telling XFree86 to use the fbdev driver, which will use the kernels framebuffer (atyfb, aty128fb or radeonfb) device for graphics acceleration. It's not optimal for graphics acceleration as there are specific drivers for these cards (ati, r128 and radeon) that come with XFree86.

Ideally you should be passing xserver={ati,r128,radeon} (dependent on the specific card) but the hwdata on both the MiB and Linuxtag ppc CD's lacks the ability to set up the XF86Config-4 correctly. It's a fairly simple fix to hwdata-${version}/Cards

NAME ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
CHIPSET R250
DRIVER radeon
+LINE Option "UseFBDev" "true"

I have patches against hwdata-0.8 that I will send to the respective developers.

The MiB ppc CD's (didn't check on the Linuxtag CD) is also missing dri kernel modules for these cards. These are available as debs I believe, at least they were developed by Debian dev Michel Daenzer so one would expect so.

Having XFree86 use the driver specifc to the card would improve the overall responsiveness of the GUI.

Now I'm trying to do a data-projector or beamer show using the iBook's video-out port. I was recommended by Yves Combe who does the ppc port of knopppix-mib to try adding "video=aty128fb:crt:1,lcd:0" at boot, with maybe screen="1024x768" or something like that. Well, the data projector recognised that there was something coming from the computer but it only projected a blank screen. Still, progress is being made. And knoppix-mib-ppc is really great!

Do you actually have a iBook with a ATI Rage 128 card? AFAIK only the clamshells (aka. toilet seat) had this card, later models have ATI Radeon cards. If your machine has a Rage128 then (and I'm assuming this does not work with fbdev ) there is a m3mirror utility (http://penguinppc.org/~benh/m3mirror.c) that will enable Rage128 based powerbooks to drive the external VGA connector for mirroring.

`lspci -v | grep ATI` should show you which card you have.

cselkirk
08-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Do you actually have a iBook with a ATI Rage 128 card?

Forgot to mention that if you have a Radeon card then mirroring is not possible, I believe it did work with 2.4.19-x but there have been major changes (http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030428_214.html#3) in radeonfb since that point and mirroring is nolonger possible. This capability may return in future, my guess is it was removed due to re-write.

rickenbacherus
08-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Huh? There are numerious non-rpm based PowerPC distributions .. Debian (http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/), Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/ppc/), Rock Linux (http://www.rocklinux.net/people/rene/powerpc/), Slackintosh (http://slackintosh.exploits.org/), amoungst others.

Rock Linux and Slackintosh I have not heard of-thanks for those. Ever built Gentoo or Debian on a 233MHz ppc before? No thanks.

cselkirk
08-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Rock Linux and Slackintosh I have not heard of-thanks for those. Ever built Gentoo or Debian on a 233MHz ppc before? No thanks.

No need to build Debian, it is a binary based distribution, or did you mean install? I have in the pased installed it on 33mhz 68k macs with little problem.

In the case of Gentoo, I have build on 120mhz 4400 and 100mhz 6500 PowerPC machines. There was in total 16 machines, I built on one host (using distcc on 3 other G{3.4}'s) and then dd'ed the install to the other 15 machines (this was for a wireless network, each machine doing IPSec, QoS, DHCP, etc).

I've also installed it on an Xserve and a number of TiBooks, Powerbook Wallstreet & Pismo's, iBooks, RS6000 43P-140, ANS, Yosimites, Dual 1G G4, and probably others .. :P

Hopefully that answers your question ;)

rickenbacherus
08-16-2003, 04:22 AM

No need to build Debian, it is a binary based distribution, or did you mean install?

semantics

I have in the pased installed it on 33mhz 68k macs with little problem.In the case of Gentoo, I have build on 120mhz 4400 and 100mhz 6500 PowerPC machines. There was in total 16 machines, I built on one host (using distcc on 3 other G{3.4}'s) and then dd'ed the install to the other 15 machines (this was for a wireless network, each machine doing IPSec, QoS, DHCP, etc).

I've also installed it on an Xserve and a number of TiBooks, Powerbook Wallstreet & Pismo's, iBooks, RS6000 43P-140, ANS, Yosimites, Dual 1G G4, and probably others .. :P

Hopefully that answers your question ;)

I'm not disputing the possibility but rather pointing out the unnecessary headaches and extra efforts needed for a ppc installation. The bottom line cselkirk is that it just isn't worth the trouble- not
on a piece of ppc. Not when you can buy twice the machince in an x86 flavor for half the money. ;) And that's a fact jack.

cselkirk
08-16-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm not disputing the possibility but rather pointing out the unnecessary headaches and extra efforts needed for a ppc installation. The bottom line cselkirk is that it just isn't worth the trouble- not on a piece of ppc. Not when you can buy twice the machince in an x86 flavor for half the money. ;) And that's a fact jack.

I fail to see the point your trying to make .. first you make a statement about RPM, and state your pleasure at having something more to your liking (knoppix) available for ppc, then a statment to the effect that Debian/Gentoo are not suitable for 'installation' on some 233mhz blah, and now ppc simply isn't worth the trouble and you could buy twice the machine at half the price.

rickenbacherus
08-16-2003, 06:02 AM
I fail to see the point your trying to make .. first you make a statement about RPM, and state your pleasure at having something more to your liking (knoppix) available for ppc, then a statment to the effect that Debian/Gentoo are not suitable for 'installation' on some 233mhz blah, and now ppc simply isn't worth the trouble and you could buy twice the machine at half the price.

Well keep trying and you'll understand- you're almost caught up with the rest of us. As soon as I get a chance I'll use your directions for booting MIB on this old box- hopefully it works as well as I'd like it to. If not- I guess it collects dust and takes up space.

fleny68
08-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Hello,

I have created a project on savannah for the Knoppix-MiB: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/k-mib/

with a public mailing list for the ppc version.

I would be happy to know if you really get this version running on oldworld machines with bootx.

kayD
09-25-2003, 05:22 PM
a warm hello 2 evry1!
i am what you would call a newbie,
linux on mac is a very very rare thing in india where i am from,and there is no way of getting knoppixppc here.i can't even imagine downloading it since i don't have fast net connection.So, was just wondering if anyone would donate me a live cd.i have a G4 (533Mhz)with 17" monitor, Nvdia 32mb graphis card,i know it is a bit much to ask for the very first time i join the forum.but it would be great to help in whatever way i can in return.my computer is open for experimentation.
ANYBODY willing to HELP me out.
thanx for reading.

cselkirk
09-25-2003, 06:19 PM
was just wondering if anyone would donate me a live cd.
Sure, pm me your email address/postal address and I will send you a number of CD's for PowerPC (Knoppix-MiB, Gentoo Linux, others).

You know of Sarai? (http://www.sarai.net/) .. If you are in Delhi they would be a good resource for Linux/OSS/Free Software

kayD
09-26-2003, 03:17 PM
thanx a ton cselkirk!
yes i have heard of sarai,i know about them and the kind of good work they are upto,i checked their website ,but i didn't find anyting for ppc ,atleast it wasn't listed,but i will post a message there and wait.
corduroy80@yahoo.com
that's my mail id.
you can send them to me @
kapil das,
c/o I.S.S.T ,
UG Floor,Core 6A ,
India Habitat Centre,
Lodhi Road,
New Delhi-110 003,
INDIA.

ps: thanx for the help, i really appreciate,if it is not asking for too much can you tell places where i can read up on linux on ppc.i have been through ydl,and gentoo,anything more.
thanks again.hope to hear from you.
anything you need from here?

walter_f
09-29-2003, 11:12 AM
kayD,

some URLs regarding Linux on PPC:

penguinppc.org - Linux for PowerPC
http://penguinppc.org/intro.shtml

linuxppc-user Mail List Archives
http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-user/

penguinppc.org - Old World vs. New World
http://penguinppc.org/projects/hw/pmac.shtml

Linux on PowerPC FAQ-O-Matic
http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html

BootX, miboot, and yaboot
http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-user/200004/msg00676.html

Yaboot and ybin (Ethan Benson)
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/yaboot/

Open Firmware (OF) - An introduction for users
http://www.netneurotic.net/mac/openfirmware.html

Debian GNU/Linux - PowerPC
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 -- Installation Manual PPC
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install

Debian - PowerPC mailing list archives
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/

mini-howto for d-i on powerpc
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200306/msg00221.html

alpha version of knoppix MiB ppc
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200306/msg00620.html

Ben's PPC Linux Page (PowerMac kernels by Benjamin Herrenschmidt, with some additional links)
http://penguinppc.org/~benh/

HFS for Linux
http://www-sccm.Stanford.EDU/~hargrove/HFS/

As to commercial distributions, there is also a PPC version by Mandrake:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppc.php3

Best regards,

Walter.

kayD
10-01-2003, 04:03 AM
thanks walter
i will look the url's.
hey cselkirk where are you.please confirm that you got my address.
i downloaded knoppix but my G4 doen't boot off the cd somehow.any tips.

cselkirk
10-02-2003, 11:52 AM
hey cselkirk where are you.please confirm that you got my address.i downloaded knoppix but my G4 doen't boot off the cd somehow.any tips.
This is the begining of the new term and so I have been particularly busy (setting up LDAP was particularly time consuming). Surfice to say I haven't been doing too much forum reading.

The CD's were burn't yesterday, but won't reach the mail room until monday (it's located in a seperate building and I avoid going there if I can avoid it), our project co-ordinator informs me she will be going to the mail room monday. The package is there in the out tray so you should expect it, i imagine, within a week or so.

As far as the knoppix CD goes (Linuxtag or MiB?) you might try passing "xserver=fbdev" as hardware detect will not correctly set up for Radeon video cards. Time doesn't permit a longer reply, sorry ..

best .. cal

kayD
10-07-2003, 05:43 AM
for csel
thanks for getting back csel. i completely understand you being busy.take it easy.thanks for the help so far.i really appreciate it.you take care,i post when i get the cds.
thanks for the tips.
cheers,
kayd

gill1109
10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Do you actually have a iBook with a ATI Rage 128 card? AFAIK only the clamshells (aka. toilet seat) had this card, later models have ATI Radeon cards. If your machine has a Rage128 then (and I'm assuming this does not work with fbdev ) there is a m3mirror utility (http://penguinppc.org/~benh/m3mirror.c) that will enable Rage128 based powerbooks to drive the external VGA connector for mirroring.
`lspci -v | grep ATI` should show you which card you have.
I think I have the ATI Radeon, so the m3mirror is not for me. But I did find this extraordinary suggestion at

http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/ppc_linux.html

> You should shut down your machine, plug in the vga adapter then
> push the power button to power it up and suddendly close the lid.
> OpenFirmware's gonna detect you want to use an external monitor
> and will enable it itself.

You also have to set up XF86Config. I'll report back if this works, it would be cool if it did (in front of 200 students...!)

The clamshell/toiletseat has also been known as the lady's "powder compact" (from the old days when there were still ladies and they had powder compacts...).

kayD
10-16-2003, 12:04 PM
thanks a lot csel ,
i just got the cds !
i'll go back and check them out.
thank you,
by the way can i have your email i.d?
regards,
kayD

gill1109
10-17-2003, 08:13 AM
[But I did find this extraordinary suggestion at

http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/ppc_linux.html

> You should shut down your machine, plug in the vga adapter then
> push the power button to power it up and suddendly close the lid.
> OpenFirmware's gonna detect you want to use an external monitor
> and will enable it itself.

You also have to set up XF86Config. I'll report back if this works, it would be cool if it did (in front of 200 students...!)

IT WORKS!!!!

little problems:
* nothing visiible on computer's screen
* if it goes to sleep and then wakes up chaos ensues
... but otherwise fine

kayD
10-17-2003, 04:08 PM
hey csel,
tried the cds!
gentoo booted but went blank after booting at default. Failsafe takes me up to the root login
i try to set up X.i tried default mostly.the screen goes blank when i startX.
any suggestions?
will get back to you,regards,
k

kayD
10-19-2003, 06:17 AM
hi everyone,
i recently ran knoppix-MIB-ppc-alpha-2e on a G4 with 15" monitor and nvdia 32mb card.(thanks to csel)
it won't boot :(
i tried passing the xserver=fbdev but the screen would just go blank....i even chose to wait...a long time but nothing would happen.it would just be blank.any ideas?
k
:cry:

gill1109
10-19-2003, 10:31 AM
i tried passing the xserver=fbdev but the screen would just go blank....i even chose to wait...a long time but nothing would happen.it would just be blank.any ideas?
k
did you try getting into text-only mode? i.e. ctrl-alt-F1 ?

kayD
10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
yes gill,i tried to boot into text.but in vain.any other suggestions that i should try at boot?

fleny68
10-21-2003, 06:35 AM
hi everyone,
i recently ran knoppix-MIB-ppc-alpha-2e on a G4 with 15" monitor and nvdia 32mb card.(thanks to csel)

Hi,
try
knoppix video=ofonly flatpanel
that works on my pmac mirrored door nvidia apple studio 15.

kayD
10-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi,
try

i tried to do that and it worked up to a point.
the debian logo came up and then the welcome sign.the kernel was forced boot,and then all kinds of errors.input /output errors.read err's from the cd rom drive.
well any suggestions.
thanks fleny

Stephen
10-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi,
try

i tried to do that and it worked up to a point.
the debian logo came up and then the welcome sign.the kernel was forced boot,and then all kinds of errors.input /output errors.read err's from the cd rom drive.
well any suggestions.
thanks fleny

Looks like it might be a bad CD have you tried knoppix testcd to check it for errors.

secco
12-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Downloaded ppc version of knoppix "knoppix-MIB-ppc-alpha-2e" and wont boot from cd on my imac flat 15" .... mac osx start as usual

alejo
12-22-2003, 06:40 AM
i've read that tha knoppix MIB alpha can do wierd stuff to a previously named SWAP partition?
if im on a tibook running debian and osx [and have a partition named Swap for linux], is it safe to run the live knoppix cd???

thanks, i hope someone has already tryied this.

hard-mac
12-23-2003, 06:04 AM
For those of you that have been testing out the earlier versions of k-mib-ppc:

New iso pre8 - Please test the X autoconfiguration
---------------------
Hello,

a new iso is available. Image is 157M.
$ md5sum k-mib-ppc-beta-pre8.iso
bc319953407b23f33edccd56e6bd3609 k-mib-ppc-beta-pre8.iso
$ ls -s --block-size=1 k-mib-ppc-beta-pre8.iso
164483072 k-mib-ppc-beta-pre8.iso

Just run startx after the boot, to check the configuration for X.
You will have just an error message about xsession. Move the cursor to
check the display is correct everywhere, and report (with machine type,
graphic card, display).

kdesktop is here but Xsession no configured yet.

Changes:
* kernel 2.6.0 from ben's tree (2.6.0-ben1).
* busybox 1.0.0-pre4 in the initrd (support 2.6 modules).
* XF4.3, with Xserver-4.4rc1 (cvs Changelog Date: 05 December 2003).
* loop-aes and ciphers v2.0b
* type lang=XX at boot. You will have a PC keyboard.

Regards,
--
Yves Combe
Formateur TICE
IUFM de Montpellier - Site de Nîmes

It can be downloaded from most of the mirriors listed here:

https://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/doc-html/Knoppix-Mib.html

Cheers,
Thomas Hardly

fleny68
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
i've read that tha knoppix MIB alpha can do wierd stuff to a previously named SWAP partition?
if im on a tibook running debian and osx [and have a partition named Swap for linux], is it safe to run the live knoppix cd???

thanks, i hope someone has already tryied this.

IF your partition named Swap is a swap partition, this is not a problem. it will be used to do swap. If it's a data partition, it will be erased to do swap: that is the problem.
There is a bug: if your swap partition is used by knoppix-mib-ppc-alpha-2e, it cannot be used after by your debian system. You just need to rerun mkswap on it to repair it.

miazmaticdotcom
01-31-2004, 01:27 AM
I have started Knoppix-MiB, but the iBook just suddenly tuned itself off before I got to the part of the boot-up where you see the Penguin.

Knoppix for PPC, on the other hand, boots but doesn't start kdeinit. I'm going to try it with xserver=fbdev.

hard-mac
01-31-2004, 02:38 AM
There seems to be some problems with ibooks and xwindows up to beta- pre10. A new beta pre11 is to be out very soon with a fix hopefully.

Thomas

pgio
02-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Using Knoppix-MiB-ppc pre10:

I got X to come up on my 350mhz iMac (I believe it's a Blueberry, probably the educational bottom-end model at the time.) Boots fine, autodetection seems to work fine, but startx fails with a line like:
" no device at PCI:0:16:0"

Doing a search, this seems like a common problem with the ATi Rage128.

I had to edit the XF86Config-4 file Device section to get X to appear.
The section ends with:

BusID ="PCI:"

I changed it to

BusID ="PCI:0:16:0"
ChipID = 0x524c

(0x524c being the chip ID reported by Apple System Profiler.) After this, startx brings up the X background and the "no xsession" error, which I believe is the correct behavior for this small (157M) version?

Would this indicate some kind of error writing the XF86Config file during autodetection? The console prints quite a few messages during boot explicitly identifying the graphics chip, so Knoppix-MiB-PPC must be getting that part right.

Hope this helps. Thank you and waiting for pre11!

Pete Giovagnoli

someone0012
02-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi, I have been following the knoppix development for a while and recently stumbled across knoppix for the PowerPC. I have downloaded the images and burned them on a windoz box but was unsuccessful with booting them. I’m not sure if I need to burn the images on a Mac. I don’t have direct access to a Mac, but I can manage to gain temporary access to one if needed too. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, Thnx.

(I hope this is the right form, I never do get it right :) )

A. Jorge Garcia
02-28-2004, 05:28 PM
How is this different from OS X which is the latest MAC OS and is based on Linux?

Regards,
AJG

fleny68
02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
I have downloaded the images and burned them on a windoz box but was unsuccessful with booting them.

You just have to "burn the image" in a good enough CD burner software. On a mac that's works, with old k3b the image was not bootable.

You boot from CD in a Mac putting the "C" key pressed at boot.

Wich image, where did you get it, and wich model of Mac?

fleny68
02-29-2004, 05:41 PM
How is this different from OS X which is the latest MAC OS and is based on Linux?

Less thanWindows XP is different from MacOSX

MacOSX is not linux based, but BSD based.

MacOSX and Linux are two unix like implementation. But different implementation.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh, so Mac OS X is based on BSD.

I see says the blind man!

EDIT: Is BSD considered Linux? I didn't think so....

Thanx,
AJG

fleny68
02-29-2004, 10:31 PM
A k-mib-ppc-pre11 has been uploaded.

It is more buggy than the pre10, but the G5 kernel is compiled in 64bits instead of 32 bits.

g lang
04-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi , I have a powermac 7300 with Debian installed.
But I 've never been able to install and run X.( I get scsi errors....a long story ... )
I d'loaded Knoppix for powerpc thinking I'd be able to install it (I have Knoppix running on my XP laptop )
During the install for the Debian I didn't get the option to keep the Mac OS so it boots straight to Linux (only text based )
So , here's the thing.....Can I install the Knoppix over the top of the current Linux????
I can't boot from CD (or floppy for that matter ) I have'nt yet found a way of doing this .Obviously I dont have the Mac start up options as Mac OS doesn't exist on this m/c any more.
TIA GL

ziyad
08-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Knoppix MIB PPC beta worked wonderfully on my iMAC G3 with slot loading CD

Any one know about a gaim version for knoppix that will work on mac. this bring me to another question do i have to get different files or teh same file will work on macs as well

plus updated sources.list file is needed, all the mentioned sites r not working.

whats the root password. i need to make changes to file permissions

solidsnake31990
01-22-2005, 01:12 AM
im downloading it right now and im going to test it out on my powerbook 3400c

walter_f
01-22-2005, 01:49 PM
im downloading it right now and im going to test it out on my powerbook 3400c

So let us know how things are going with Knoppix MiB PPC on your PowerBook. Good luck.

A more recent version of a Deb-based Linux Live CD for Mac PowerPC has been made available lately, Gnoppix. Gnoppix is very close to Knoppix in its concept, but based on the Gnome desktop instead of KDE.

Note that Gnoppix 0.9.3 is labeled as "developer version" (i.e., Beta).

---
GNOPPIX Developer version 0.9.3b3 Hoary is out (2005-01-20)

The Gnoppix project proudly presents a new beta of version 0.9.3 of the Gnoppix linux live cd. 0.9.3 comes for PowerPC, AMD64 and Intel i386 Platforms. The version comes with the lastest Gnome-Software Gnome 2.9.3 and Xorg.
---
Gnoppix.org (http://www.gnoppix.org/)

Downloads of 0.9.3b2 and 0.9.3b3 available here:

Gnoppix Beta (http://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix/beta/)

As Gnoppix co-operates with Ubuntu Linux, "Hoary" is the code name for the developer versions of Ubuntu as well as Gnoppix.

I could not find out yet which Mac hardware Gnoppix for PowerPC supports at the moment. I suppose that most of New World machines will do fine, but which ones of the Old World Macs remains to be seen.

Best regards to all,

Walter.

boehmb
01-24-2005, 12:31 AM
So, Walter, have you tried the gnoppix-ppc version on your Powerbook yet? I have a G4-500 with 1 GB ram and an nVidia Geforce 4MX card installed and would like to try the live-cd on my Mac. Hope to hear from you soon...

Brad

boehmb
01-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Or, has anyone else booted the ppc-gnoppix on a Mac? I assume since it's a live cd, it doesn't touch the hard drive. Right?

walter_f
01-24-2005, 09:48 AM
So, Walter, have you tried the gnoppix-ppc version on your Powerbook yet? I have a G4-500 with 1 GB ram and an nVidia Geforce 4MX card installed and would like to try the live-cd on my Mac. Hope to hear from you soon...

Brad

Well, Brad,

I'm not the PowerBook 3400 guy (I were just replying to solidsnake31990, who's the PBook owner).

I'm the PowerMac G3 Desktop guy instead ;-)

Your equipment (G4 with much RAM) looks great for a test of Gnoppix PPC (and comfortably sufficient for all the other PPC distributions as well, whenever you choose to do an installation eventually). You should be able to boot the Gnoppix Live CD just by holding down the "c" key. A Live CD is supposed not to touch the hard drive and the installed software on it in any way. But of course, I cannot guarantee anything.

As soon as I have had access to a Mac G4 (such a machine is my first choice), I will give Gnoppix a try and then I will post my experiences here. This might be one or two weeks from now, though.

Regards,

Walter.

solidsnake31990
02-24-2005, 03:08 AM
hey, i downloaded it onto my pc laptop, but it started getting all messed up and i had to reformat. i sold it and got an ibook, but never remembered to test it out on my powerbook. im downloading it now, and then ill test it out and post how it goes.

solidsnake31990
02-24-2005, 03:27 AM
i tryed to boot from it but i screwed up burning it. im downloading gnoppix as we speak(or type), and im also going to try that on my powerbook and ibook

boehmb
02-24-2005, 03:37 AM
I just got a new iBook and will anxiously await your report...

walter_f
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I just got a new iBook and will anxiously await your report...

There's an article on ppcnerds.org reporting about the most recent beta version of Gnoppix, 0.9.9b1 (dated Jan 27, 2005), on an iBook G4 1.2 GHz with ATI video chipset:

http://www.ppcnerds.org/Article278.html

Regards,

Walter.

boehmb
02-28-2005, 02:12 AM
walter_f, thank you for the reference. That's the exact iBook I own, and according to one who tested it on an iBook, the brightness, volume and eject keys have stopped working. Not wanting to mess up a new machine, I think I'll stick to Knoppix on my i486 platform for now...

Brad

walter_f
02-28-2005, 10:25 AM
walter_f, thank you for the reference. That's the exact iBook I own, and according to one who tested it on an iBook, the brightness, volume and eject keys have stopped working. Not wanting to mess up a new machine, I think I'll stick to Knoppix on my i486 platform for now...
Brad

Hello Brad,

taking into consideration Gnoppix PPC is still beta (albeit a good one), you might give it a try in April when most probably the first final version (PowerPC as well as the other platforms) will be out. Just keep an eye on
http://www.gnoppix.org/
and
http://www.ppcnerds.org/

Of course, somebody will post in the news section of knoppix.net forums also when there will be breaking news on this... ;-)

Regards,

Walter.

boehmb
03-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Thank you again. I've got those sites bookmarked!

walter_f
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
For all those who prefer KDE to Gnome (I don't), there is a KDE-based variant of Ubuntu, called Kubuntu (what else? ;-)), available as a first preliminary test version:

Kubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Kubuntu/)

There are Live CDs of Kubuntu

Kubuntu Live CD ISOs (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/)

as well as Install CDs

Kubuntu Install CD ISOs (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily/current/)

Kubuntu is being developed for the x86, PowerPC, AMD 64, and IA-64 platforms. The current version is basically on par with Ubuntu 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" which is to be released officially in April.

Regards,

Walter.

walter_f
03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Debian-Installer Release Candidate 3.

Joey Hess began to work on the next release candidate of the new debian-installer. Most tests ran fine.
He reported that they seem to be on schedule for the release on March 23rd, which will be 3 months since the rc2 release.
Debian Weekly News - March 22nd, 2005 (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2005/12/)

And here it is:
Debian-Installer release candidate 3 (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2005/20050323)

Available as images for
[alpha] [arm] [hppa] [i386] [ia64] [m68k] [mips] [mipsel] [powerpc] [sparc]:
Installing sarge with the Debian-Installer
(http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/)

Regards,

Walter.

walter_f
04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Here's a detailed discussion about installing Debian GNU/Linux on the Mac Mini by William R Sowerbutts:
Install GNU/Linux on the Mac Mini (http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/)

William provides detailed information on how to partition the hard drive for a dual-boot setup as well as for Linux-only mode.

He has hints on which components of the Mac Mini are supported by Debian (most are).

The most notable exception is 802.11g wireless ("Airport Extreme") which is a BTO option. Due to the lack of Open Source drivers for the Broadcom chipset, in terms of Linux owners of the Mac Mini are in the same boat as owners of other recent Macs and all the owners of PCs with the 802.11g Broadcom chipset (for the x86 platform, there's the NDIS wrapper solution, however). So if you are going to use a Mac mini under Linux only, just don't order the Airport Extreme option, save your money for something else, e.g. for a USB WLAN dongle that's supported by Linux.

There are other issues:
Audio does not work yet, expected to be solved soon;
Graphics over DVI connection not working at screen resolutions above 1280x1024.

There's a forum dedicated to Linux on the Mac mini, too:
Linux on the Mac Mini forum (http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=22)

For Debian on Mac questions in general there's the comprehensive debian-powerpc mailing list:
Debian PowerPC list archive (http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/)

Best regards,

Walter.

walter_f
05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
A new Knoppix Live CD for PowerPC called Niktarix has been announced here:

Niktarix announcement (http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220)

An early version is available as an ISO for download here:

Niktarix ISO (http://www.ellak.gr/pub/knoppel/NIKTARIX_0_03.ISO)

Niktarix has been built using kernel 2.6.11, binaries mostly from Debian Sarge, and KDE 3.3.2 as a desktop.

At the moment, the author has tested his work just on Genesi/PowerPC, i.o.w., not yet on a Macintosh or any other PPC platform.

Regards,

Walter.

walter_f
07-20-2005, 10:28 PM
There's a LiveCD project based on Debian that works with Enlightenment, targeting the PowerPC platform as well as i386 and AMD64:
Enlightenment LiveCD Project (http://livecd.debianitas.net/index.html)

The maintainer is looking for testers for the packages for an upcoming version of Elive:
New EFL packages for Elive 0.2 (http://livecd.debianitas.net/news.html)

Elive EFL Repository, PowerPC-specific:
Elive EFL Packages (http://livecd.debianitas.net/repository/ppc/efl/)

Regards,

Walter.

ziyad
11-11-2005, 10:54 PM
A new Knoppix Live CD for PowerPC called Niktarix has been announced here:

Niktarix announcement (http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220)

An early version is available as an ISO for download here:

Niktarix ISO (http://www.ellak.gr/pub/knoppel/NIKTARIX_0_03.ISO)

Niktarix has been built using kernel 2.6.11, binaries mostly from Debian Sarge, and KDE 3.3.2 as a desktop.

At the moment, the author has tested his work just on Genesi/PowerPC, i.o.w., not yet on a Macintosh or any other PPC platform.

Regards,

Walter.

Seems to be dead.

ziyad
11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
There's a LiveCD project based on Debian that works with Enlightenment, targeting the PowerPC platform as well as i386 and AMD64:
Enlightenment LiveCD Project (http://livecd.debianitas.net/index.html)

The maintainer is looking for testers for the packages for an upcoming version of Elive:
New EFL packages for Elive 0.2 (http://livecd.debianitas.net/news.html)

Elive EFL Repository, PowerPC-specific:
Elive EFL Packages (http://livecd.debianitas.net/repository/ppc/efl/)

Regards,

Walter.

NO PPC version was released the 0.3 version is only for 386

pap2003
11-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Seems to be dead.

I don't think so
Have you seen this ?
http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=398

Matelis
01-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes :D

chris-harry
02-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Knoppix on a MAC!! wow... only 2 weeks ago, the adds of Mac now running intel came out...

i am considering one of those mini macs... what ever they are called (i think mini macs)...

which brings me to the question... would the normal knoppix run on a mac that has an intel chip (man, i have been waiting to say that for years)

pap2003
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
New version out!

http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=500

zlost1
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
i need help. i downloaded the knx ppc that fabian originaly posted. i have ppc g3 450.
it has a rage128. when i boot the cd everything goes fine untill it tries to find screens for x.

i cant seem to find a cheat code to make x work. can anyone give me a code that will work