PDA

View Full Version : How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?

bongski55
07-17-2003, 08:25 AM
I know this is a recurring question but I did a search here and was not able to find a straight answer.

I did 'adduser' and after doing so was not able to connect to the internet without doing some tweaks to the dialup connection. After that, when I tried using konqueror was not able to go to sites because of 'host unknown'errors.

All this problems did not happen with the default "knoppix" user.

I already tried changing the groups (saw this suggestion in another howto) and made it the same as the groups of 'knoppix' but this did not solve the problem.

BY THE WAY, this is not my first HD install but a new one. My first was using 20030528 knoppix. Is this an issue with 0606 version?

For those who were successful in 'adduser' please post the steps you did. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere.
thanks!

ferreter
07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I run into some of the same issues when I add a new user. Some of these issues include:

-No sound for the new user (it appears that I have to add the user to a sound group to fix this)

-Even though all settings are set to english as per other threads advice some apps like open office stay in German. This does not occur with the root or koppix user.

Thanks.

rickenbacherus
07-17-2003, 09:49 PM
In addition to adding your username to /etc/groups and /etc/sudoers you may need to give your user permission to a certain device like so:

chmod 777 /dev/mixer
chmod 777 /dev/dsp

will for example allow everyone to access /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp

man chmod for a detailed explaination.

bongski55
07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
See my related post about user not able to browse web.