PDA

View Full Version : XP is hilarious

rickenbacherus
07-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Now I've never used XP so I can't say if it looks nice or works well but I sure do read alot of funny stories about XP Like this one (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/30905.html) for example about how instaling M$'s own patch made the internet a little too secure for some 600,000 people.

:D

Or how about this (http://netsecurity.about.com/library/weekly/aa021603a.htm) one where all you have to do to bypass XP security is boot with a win2k disc! ROTFL

From a Dec 2001 article:

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) responded Thursday to the discovery of serious security gaps in its Windows XP operating system by issuing a patch and urging all Windows XP users to install it immediately.

Calling the vulnerability -- a security hole in the software's Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service -- "critical," Microsoft posted a security bulletin and patch on its Web site. The company recommended that Windows XP and Windows ME users, as well as Windows 98 and 98SE users who have UPnP running, immediately download and install the patch.

Discovered by Alisa Viejo, California-based eEye Digital Security, the security weaknesses are being called extremely serious by both experts and Microsoft officials. Despite the revelation, Microsoft maintains that Windows XP remains the best and most secure operating system the company has ever made.

Now that's scary- "Despite the revelation, Microsoft maintains that Windows XP remains the best and most secure operating system the company has ever made".

A flaw that has existed since windows98 and they STILL say that this is the best they can do?!?!

Thanks for the laughs Bill- you're hilarious. :P

Rixel
07-17-2003, 06:58 PM
No offense intended, but should this really be listed as Latest news on the front page?

I'm all for MS bashing, but is this really as important as a new Knoppix release?

Perhaps this post should be moved.

Thanks,

Rixel

Stephen
07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
I've never had the eXPerience either and it always strikes me as funny when my friends call and say can you help me re-install, windows has trashed my computer again.

There have been warnings for years about UPnP for people who would listen to Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation (http://www.grc.com) maker of the fine product Spinrite and provider of the Shields Up web port scaning utility, all windows users should give it a try and be shocked at what MS leaves you open to, they called him crazy must be crazy like a fox I'd say.

For a company with 40 billion in the bank the MS operating systems should be the most secure on the planet hell the damn thing should even be able to make your morning coffee but that is never the case a pretty sad state of affairs really and one hell of a sad commentary on the actual priorities of the MS corporation.

Stephen
07-17-2003, 07:14 PM
No offense intended, but should this really be listed as Latest news on the front page?

I'm all for MS bashing, but is this really as important as a new Knoppix release?

Thanks,

Rixel

I really have no opinion on whether it should be in the news section but pointing out the flaws of the MS operating system is in no way bashing MS it is just stating the facts as they are.

rickenbacherus
07-17-2003, 08:18 PM

Thanks,

Rixel

You're right- I got lost from laughing so hard. :)

qa1433
07-17-2003, 09:19 PM
I think it is appropriate and should stay.

I still have to use win2k on occasion.
But I never do a win2k update for a couple of days or until I see if there are any repercussions to doing an update from M$.
I learned my lesson years ago with the windows update thingy.

gretchen
07-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Having to use and support Windows XP at work, I can say that XP is the best Windows as far as Windows versions go.

Here is my theory:
Of course there have to be security holes in Windows. Otherwise no one would ever upgrade to the next "secure" version and pay the $300 dollars for it.