PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix guru needed

linux-noob
07-17-2003, 06:37 PM
I have a need for a Knoppix based burn in CD. It would need to automatically run an extensive hardware burn in, and export results in some form (smtp?). I could even get you paid for it! Contact me at john@setupscripts.com.

arkaine23
07-17-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm just finishing a remaster called overclockix. Its a pretty standard Knoppix without games. For burning hardware and running diskless distributed computing, I added memtest86, dbench, setiathome, folding@home, and prime-net. Folding@home runs at startup. I've written about 20 scripts to make controling these apps very simple.

Sound like what you were looking for?

linux-noob
07-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Yes, just burn-in related software that would auto run, and send results over the network. If it can do this I will get my company to pay you for your efforts.

arkaine23
07-17-2003, 11:47 PM
I think that could be done. I'd just need to write another script to collect the log files and mail them out.

Folding@home downloads small work units from Stanford University and processes them in order to conduct research on protein folding. When done it sends the results back and downloads a new work unit. It uses about 20mb of ram, and turns up the heat on the CPU, even utilizing SSE or 3dnow instructions. In my experience it is very good at pointing out unstable hardware or settings. Right now in my remaster, it runs fine from startup on amachines with 128mb of ram, but if started manually from KDE it won't work correctly unless the machine has 160mb of ram or more. That is the only issue I've found so far. It can be started manually in other less ram-hungry window managers just fine AFAIK. F@H keeps a log file. In it you will find any errors the F@H client encountered. This is saved to the /home/knoppix/fold directory as FAHlog.txt.

Samba would allow the log file to be copied onto a network.

Setiathome works in a similar way and is a bit more ram intensive. It also has a logfile- state.sah that could be sent to the network through samba.

Prime-net is a very intensive distribuited computing progrma that seeks to calculate incredibly large prime numbers. Its tough on a system, and its logfile displays errors a bit more readily that F@H or S@H. Like the others samba would allow this text file to be sent to a location on the network.

dbench is a disk benchmarking utility. I have not used it yet and don't know anything else about it at this time.

Memtest86 is a ram diagnostic utility. It thorougly tests the memory subsystem, though I'm not sure if it has a log file. It does count up errors during the course of its run and display them on-screen.

Any one of these would be a great way to burn-in a new system if left running for most of a day.

To quit F@H which runs at startup, run the command- foldoff
to start setiathome, run the command- setion
to start prime-net, run the command- primeon
memtest all
dbench -c /location/to/save/log

...and so forth. I've included an explanation of my custom scripts in the .iso. I'll be doing some finishing touches this evening and should get it uploaded to an ftp server overnight if everything works correctly.

I'll let you know when its available and you can give me some details about your exact needs for sending the logs onto your network, so that I'll make your version somewhat more customized than the standard version I've been working on.

arkaine23
07-23-2003, 10:29 PM
I've sent you a few emails, but they keep getting returned. Still interested? I have a working iso for you to try. All I'd need to do is change the init script for the burning app so you ran cpuburn at startup instead of folding@home, and add a method to send the logfile of each machine to an email addy or a network-shared FAT32 partition.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-23-2003, 11:21 PM
OOO, I'd be interested in S@H and PrimeNet! Are you going to upload your ISO somewhere?

TIA,

arkaine23
07-24-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3774

See that thread for a link.

It runs folding@home at startup, but you can run the command:

foldoff

and it will kill folding.

Then run:

setion

to start seti on the default user- Arkaine23.

or run:

cfgseti

if you want to start seti and enter your own user info.

primeon

will start prime-net and let you configure it.

setioff and primeoff will kill the apps.

There are explanations of my scripts in the folder on the KDE desktop called Info. If you get a prompt to enter a password when running a script, then press Ctrl+C and run: sudo scriptname instead. I think that happens with the cfgseti script. I still need to correct a few minor problems like that

I'm adding some more things to the next version:

F-prot virus scanner
kdfold
minor fixes
more backgrounds
better fluxmenu and icemenu

linux-noob
07-25-2003, 05:40 PM
I dont know why the emails are bouncing, try john@setupscripts.com, or john.ryan@alliancesystems.com
I am interested in trying the ISO, email me a link and I will DL. Sorry I did not respond earlier, I do not get to this board much. Email is better.

Pjotr
07-28-2003, 11:43 PM
I can help with hosting the ISO on my 10 mbit ftp site in Sweden, if you like. I can't resolve your IP address to download your version at the moment.

arkaine23
07-30-2003, 04:42 AM
hmm, wonder what's upn on the server that's hosting my file... Try right-clicking the link if the download doesn't start automatically.

http://folding.octeams.com/oclinux/Overclockix_ColdFusion.iso

On another note, I'm going to asdd the F-prot scripts for windows virus scanning, and another burn-in app called lucifer. Samba is broken at the moment, but I'm going to uplaod an iso with these fixes just as soon as I can. It will have the same name and so the link will still work once the newer iso is available.

arkaine23
07-30-2003, 05:58 AM
Thanks for catching that! the F in fusion needed to be capitalized.

I'm going to upload an improved version in a coupe of days. I have to fix samba and add F-prot scripts for virus scanning. It will be named the same, so the link won't change. I'll post when the new version is uploaded.