PDA

View Full Version : boot problem - immediate shutdown

Area Man
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to run Knoppix V3.2-2003-03-30-EN from a CD. I put it in my CD drive, and it seems to boot up, no problems. It autodetects everything fine and there are no errors. Then it says "Starting X11" or something like that, and the screen changes to a blueish graphic with the Knoppix logo on it. I have a mouse pointer (first an X then it turns into a normal pointer) on the screen but nothing else, just that graphic. I can hear the voice say "initializing system" or whatever it says. It sits there for about 30 seconds (no dialog boxes or anything) then I hear the voice say it is shutting down. It then goes back to the text bootup window and shuts down, after prompting me to remove the CD. Any ideas?

I haven't tried any cheat codes, as it does not give me any errors. It just mysteriously kicks me out before I can do anything.

Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (on a AMD 761 chipset)
384 MB DDR RAM
20 GB HD (Maxtor)
2 CD-Roms: Sony CD-R/RW and Lite-on DVD-Rom
NVidia GF2 Ti Video card
Onboard sound
D-Link NIC
Currently running WinXP Pro

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen
07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) are a good things even if you have no errors. You may want to try knoppix xmodule=nv noddc and have a look at the others to see if there any more you may want to try.