PDA

View Full Version : CD mounting question

Hayabusa
07-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I have 2 CD Roms on my system, an IDE DVD Ram and a USB CD Burner. After a hard drive install the DVD burner was recognized and mounted in /etc/fstab as (after some tinkering by me):

/dev/cdrom /cdrom udf,iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

The USB CD burner is recognized and works with K3B ironically enough, but it's not listed in /etc/fstab

I'd like to be able to mount and read files from this burner in addition to just burning with it.

the live Cd had this line in etc/fstab for my USB burner:

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0

and under redhat 9 the same drive was in /etc/fstab as:

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,r
o 0 0

I'm not sure if I need to crate a folder right off of root for /cdrom1 or to create one /proc/ment/cdrom1 or whatnot.

I have grabbed this infor from /var/log/dmesg about the device in question:

scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Vendor: LITE-ON Model: LTR-32123S Rev: XS0R
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr1: scsi-1 drive

can anyone help me out in making this drive mountable from /etc/fstab?

Stephen
07-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Use the device name /dev/scd1 and create a directory off root and name it whatever you would like to use for the mount point. So using the line in the live CD as a template for the new fstab line it would look like this:

/dev/scd1 /created_mount_point auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0

I am suggesting scd1 because the sr1 in the dmesg is a symbolic link to the /dev/scd1 to confirm this ls -la /dev/sr1 in a console window.

Hayabusa
07-18-2003, 01:37 AM
thanks you were right on the money with the simlink from sr1 to scd1

in any case the only deviation from the fstab line I used was using iso9660 instead of auto for the filesystem, I don't think that that will cause any issues. thanks again for your help